[Nfbwv-talk] Dr. Keller's WVSDB Weekly Notes for 2/24/17

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Mon Feb 27 15:09:03 UTC 2017

Weekly Notes 2/24/17

Greetings on a beautiful, spring-like evening!  Our students are loving the warm weather as it has provided them with lots of opportunities to be outdoors and enjoy spring-time activities.

Last week, 23 students from the schools for the Deaf and the blind went to Timberline Ski Resort in Canaan Valley, WV for 2 days of down-hill skiing.  Fortunately, there was sufficient man-made snow to allow them to enjoy this annual event.  According to reports, a good time was had by all.

This week is being designated as Future Farmers of America Week and is recognized through a variety of activities provided by our Agriculture Department.  In the next few days, you will be able to view pictures of those activities on the WVSDB Facebook page and the school website.

During the past few weeks, my senior staff and I have been quite busy making preparations for the 2017-18 school year.  Our work has focused on the development of master schedules for all three schools with emphasis on increasing opportunities with regard to course offerings and extra-curricular programming.  Our main goal is to increase academic rigor and opportunities for all students.

Best of luck to the WVSD Academic Bowl Team. The team will be competing in the Midwest Regional Tournament this weekend hosted by the Indiana School for the Deaf in Indianapolis.  Altogether, 19 schools will be competing.  Members of the WVSD team are Hunter Barrow, Jacob Huntley, Taylor James, and Zachary Stump.  The coaches are Rusty Crace and Erin Riggleman (high school teachers).  They have been meeting on a weekly basis in preparation for this tournament since last fall.  GO LIONS!!

What's on the Horizon??

Monday, March 13, 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. - WVSDB Day/Deaf Awareness Day at the State Capitol

Friday and Saturday, March 17 and 18 - WVSB team will compete in the EAAB Goalball tournament at VSDB

Thursday, March 30, 6:00- 7:00 p.m. - First ever National Honor Society Induction Ceremony for selected WVSDB students in MPR at Pierre building

Respectfully yours,

Dr. Martin P. Keller, Jr., Superintendent

West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind

301 East Main Street

Romney, WV  26757

Videophone/Phone:  304-553-7974

Email:  martin.keller at k12.wv.us<mailto:martin.keller at k12.wv.us>

Achieve.  Challenge.  Thrive.  WVSDB shall set high expectations for learning in a positive climate where lifelong learning is nurtured by example.