[Nfbwv-talk] President Riccobono's Notebook for 8/21/18

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Wed Aug 22 12:47:12 UTC 2018

August 21, 2018
President's Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

We are quickly coming to the back-to-school time period. Most of our NFB BELL Academies have closed for the summer. Now is the time for our affiliates to send pictures, stories, and audio clips of the summer activities. Most importantly, we need your reports so we can help leverage potential funding for the summer of 2019. Please give this attention ASAP.

We are heading into a busy fall season of conventions. I anticipate many new ideas and members coming from our work this fall. Keep up the great work and keep sharing your news with me.

Please note that our national office will be closed on September 6th and 7th for professional development activities.

News:

Space Available Program:
Last week, the John McCain National Defense Authorization Act was signed into law. It contains language expanding eligibility for the Space Available program that will allow Vietnam-era veterans who are blind or have other disabilities to travel on military flights if space is available. The press release is at available at https://nfb.org/military-space-available-accommodation-expanded-more-veterans-disabilities.

Registration Is Now Open for the Tactile Graphics in Education and Careers Symposium:

Calling all teachers and parents of blind students, producers and users of tactile graphics, tactile researchers, and museum professionals! Don't miss this exciting opportunity to learn about innovations in the production of tactile graphics (both high tech and low tech), the use of tactile graphics in the classroom, how to teach tactile literacy, what constitutes good design, and more. The Tactile Graphics in Education and Careers Symposium will take place October 11-12, at the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute. Registration is $50 and includes lunch both days. For more information, to view the agenda, and to register, go to the Tactile<https://nfb.org/tactile-graphics-education-and-careers-symposium>

Graphics Symposium webpage<https://nfb.org/tactile-graphics-education-and-careers-symposium>.

Share the Love:
As I mentioned in the last notebook, the National Federation of the Blind has partnered with Kellogg's Rice Krispies Treats to create Braille and audio Love Notes, which allow parents to include messages in their children's lunch boxes. This program went live last week, and there was substantial media coverage. Within the first ninety minutes of the launch, three notable pieces of coverage went live: USA Today<https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/08/07/kelloggs-rice-krispies-treats-offer-snack-notes-visually-impaired/918050002/>, CNET<https://www.cnet.com/news/rice-krispies-treats-is-making-free-braille-stickers-audio-boxes/>, and Cheddar<https://cheddar.com/videos/rice-krispies-makes-treats-more-accessible>. Please spread the word about the Rice Krispies website<https://www.ricekrispies.com/en_US/love-notes.html> so that our members can order Love Notes for their children.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

  *   Fall conventions<https://nfb.org/state-conventions>
  *   October 11-12, 2018: Tactile Graphics Symposium
  *   March 28-29, 2019: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium
  *   July 7-12, 2019: NFB National Convention, Las Vegas, Nevada

Mark A. Riccobono, President
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.