[Nfbwv-talk] Sad News

Ed McDonald ed at eioproductions.com
Sat Mar 24 18:57:00 UTC 2018

Although Joyce's death may not have come as a surprise, it is sad to lose such a respected colleague and long-time friend.

I posted the following to the NFB Chapter Presidents list:

I am saddened to report that long-time Federationist Joyce Porter passed away this morning following a long illness.  It is my recollection that Joyce attended her first West Virginia state convention in 1958 where she had the opportunity to meet Dr. tenBroek.  That was shortly after her graduation from the West Virginia School for the Blind, and she remained a devoted Federationist throughout the rest of her life.

Joyce was the widow of former West Virginia affiliate president Richard L. "Dick" Porter.  Dick led our affiliate during the 1980s, and Joyce contributed immeasurably to the success of his presidency.  Her lifelong commitment to the movement was recognized several years ago when she was inducted into the Hall of Honor of the National Federation of the Blind of West Virginia.

I am sure that Federationists throughout the country knew Joyce from her attendance at many national conventions as well as from her time spent living in such locations as Washington, DC, and Houston, TX.

Joyce's death comes at an especially sad time for the family, since her brother George died earlier this week, and his funeral service took place today.

She was a cherished colleague and a dear friend.

Ed McDonald