[Nfbwv-talk] Article from Hampshire Review

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Thu Oct 18 16:54:07 UTC 2018

I want to thank Karen Swauger for sharing this.

State Board 'impressed' with WVSDB.

In a last-minute idea to visit the West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and Blind, the state board of education touched down in Hampshire to see the school's progress in academics and infrastructure.

"The State Board of Education and Dr. Paine have been so incredibly supportive of our schools and we're so glad they were able to come visit today," said Mark Gandolfi, Superintendent of Administration.

"It's been amazing. There are so many great things happening at our school as a result of that support.

One of the school's key successes, which board members said were among many of the things they were impressed with, was its progress with programming and curriculum.

Gandolfi said academics ultimately revolve around each particular student  from their beginning needs to their specialized interests later in their curriculum.

"Every student experience here is very much individualized," said Gandolfi. "We're meeting them where they are and maximizing their potential.

The individualized experience is true throughout academics and throughout other programming including career and technical work as well as general extra-curricular activities.

"I was here 4 or 5 years ago and I can see a dramatic improvement and dramatic changes in curriculum and in the appearance of the school. It's very impressive," said state board president Dave Perry.

"We're also very pleased with the partnerships we've seen formed within the school and the community.

The school has several partnerships both with Hampshire County Schools and several businesses in the community including Hampshire Memorial Hospital and more.

"Right now the school is participating in providing paintings to the local hospital and we're excited to hear about archery. When you talk archery on a state level, you talk about the Schools for the Deaf and the Blind," Perry added. "Not only are the academics doing well, but the extra-curricular activities are too.

State Superintendent Steve Paine said he, too, is very impressed with the school the immense growth its had in all its programming.

"Their goals have been exceeded with very high expectations and I'm very pleased. I've been up here 3 times in the last 13 years and this is the most impressive visit I've had yet," said Paine.

"I can't tell you enough that the current emphasis for academic achievement for these kids is stronger than I've ever seen. We look forward to a long future working with the Schools for the Deaf and Blind.

Paine stressed that he wants the community to know the school is going strong and there is no chance it will close. "I want to put to rest any notion of this place closing right now," he said.

"We're very pleased with what we see. We're very pleased with what we see. We're very committed to the improvement we've seen happening in the last. It's very impressive.

Perry and Paine said they thank Delegate Ruth Rowan for championing the school and for inviting them to visit the campus and see all of its progress.

"It's just fantastic. It's a great day here in Hampshire County to have the West Virginia state Board of Education at our school," said Rowan.

"A lot of wonderful things are happening here and I'm grateful they came to see it first-hand.

Overall, the board of education members, who went all over campus seeing both the School for the Deaf and the School for the Blind as well as the multipurpose room, cafeteria, and administration building among others, said they were pleased, impressed, and happy to be visiting the school.

"There were a lot of great things discussed today and a lot of great things in motion," concluded Gandolfi.

"There's a lot more coming. We have such a bright future and their visit today really solidified that. This is a credit to the staff here. The staff here is so incredible and they really shined today. It is just fantastic.