[NFBWV-Talk] Fwd: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 07/01/2019

Sheri Koch skochnfbwv at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 21:41:11 UTC 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: President, National Federation of the Blind <
OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>
Date: Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 5:36 PM
Subject: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 07/01/2019
To: President, National Federation of the Blind <
OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>

President’s Notebook National Federation of the Blind Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org 410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

It's July and Independence Day is coming up—this is the celebration of the
independence of our nation. Beginning July 7, we will experience
Independence week at the National Federation of the Blind annual
convention. I will be in Las Vegas starting on Independence Day, and I
anticipate welcoming the rest of you when you arrive.

I have two important notes for you. The first is exclusively announcing to
you, before anyone else, the launch of the public beta for the NFB-NEWSLINE
mobile application including KNFB Reader Basic. Normally we would hold an
announcement like this until the convention, but we wanted you to download
the beta while you were in the comfort of your own home, so you could have
it ready to go during your time at the convention.

The second is an announcement that I am not happy to share with you. As you
will read below, we have had some difficulty in establishing the necessary
exempt status needed with the State of Nevada for the convention of the
National Federation of the Blind. While our team continues to work with the
state to get our application approved, we need to prepare for the worst. As
you will find below, every vendor in our exhibit hall is required to
collect state sales tax on all tangible products sold. We have requested
accessible tax forms from the state, but we have not yet received an
answer. As a result, our team is preparing to be in the exhibit hall and
ready to assist affiliates with completing the necessary forms at the end
of the convention. If you have questions about the impact of this on your
exhibit table, I encourage you to call Patti Chang at 410-659-9314,
extension 2422. I sincerely apologize for this major inconvenience.

Critical Actions This Week: Available Now! NFB-NEWSLINE Mobile 3.0 Beta
with KNFB Reader Basic

The National Federation of the Blind is excited to announce that the
updated NFB-NEWSLINE mobile app beta version is now available to download
on your iPhones and iPads. Included in the app is the KNFB Reader Basic
which provides the useful core features at no cost. Within the KNFB Reader
section, just point and shoot for access to print on-the-go. This beta
version is a pre-released, advanced development of the app. Your
participation and feedback expand the amount of testing done, which will
help us develop a better product. Note: Installing this beta app will
overwrite your existing NFB-NEWSLINE mobile app. Enjoy NFB-NEWSLINE
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-newsline> and KNFB Reader Basic
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/knfb-reader> together!

How to get the app:

   - First, download the Test Flight app on your device.
   - Then, on your device, select NFB-NEWSLINE 3.0 Beta by going to this
   link: https://testflight.apple.com/join/zuoVUXFv. You’ll need your
   NFB-NEWSLINE login credentials.
   - Share your feedback or request assistance by sending an email to
   nfbnewsline-ios at nfb.org or calling 866-504-7300.

We look forward to your participation and feedback.

*Nevada State Sales Tax:*
We are continuing to push for Nevada state tax exemption; however, with our
convention starting in seven days, we have to be prepared to collect sales
tax. The state of Nevada offers a One-Time Event Sales Tax program which is
collected through the organizer of the event, the National Federation of
the Blind. All vendors, including NFB and NFB affiliates, who are selling
tangible products in the exhibit hall are required to collect 8.25 percent
sales tax.

Through this tax program, NFB is responsible for collecting the forms and
tax payments at the close of the exhibit hall. Attached are the
instructions for collecting sales tax and the return forms. We have asked
for this form in an accessible format but haven’t received it.

Things to know when collecting taxes and turning in paperwork at the close
of the exhibit hall:

·         Make sure to total the sale and then multiple the total by 8.25
percent to determine the sales tax. It will be easier for everyone if you
keep a running list of sales and then tax collected, these two totals are
needed for the tax form.

·         If you are accepting credit cards, please make sure to follow-up
with your credit card gateway (PayPal, Authorize.net, etc.) to learn how to
make sure you process the transaction along with the tax. (We are not
familiar with all gateways and have limited knowledge on this process.)

·         NFB accounting staff will be in the exhibit hall at the
information table on July 10 from 8:45 to 9:30 p.m. and on July 11 from
1:45 to 3:00 p.m. to answer questions and collect forms and payments.

·         Vendors will complete all three sections of the form and return
it to NFB along with your tax payments made payable to the Department of
Taxation – *please bring checks with you to convention. *

·         Once your information and payment are confirmed, you will receive
the vendor copy for your records.

·         NFB will keep the middle copy for our records.

·         NFB will return the top copies along with the payments to the
State of Nevada Department of Taxation.

NFB accounting staff will help you navigate this process. You can contact
an NFB accounting person by emailing fiscalservices at nfb.org or calling
443-312-9464 with questions.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

   - July 7-12, 2019: NFB National Convention
   <https://www.nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention>, Las Vegas, Nevada
   - February 10, 2020: Great Gathering-In; Washington Seminar begins

blindness is not what holds you back.

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/200+East+Wells+Street,+Baltimore,+MD+21230?entry=gmail&source=g>

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>

                         [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>    [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>    [image: Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.