[NFBWV-Talk] Fwd: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 11/11/2019

Sheri Koch skochnfbwv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 14:49:55 UTC 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: President, National Federation of the Blind <
OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>
Date: Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 8:59 AM
Subject: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 11/11/2019
To: President, National Federation of the Blind <
OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>

President’s Notebook National Federation of the Blind Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org 410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

A huge happy Veterans Day to all of our military veterans and those who are
family members of military veterans. For all of the struggles we still face
in gaining equality and opportunity in our nation, we recognize that the
United States of America still offers us the best prospects for full
participation because of the sacrifices and struggles that our military
personnel have made and continue to make. Thank you to those of you who
have served in the military. I hope each of you are doing something to
honor and support our veterans.

By now you have heard about the passing of long-time Federation leader
Donald Capps of South Carolina. Read our news page
<https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/memoriam-dr-donald-capps> about
the passing of Dr. Capps including the statement I wrote for the funeral,
which was yesterday afternoon.

ACTION REQUIRED: We want to begin planning for the Affiliate Presidents
Retreat in advance of Washington Seminar. We are asking all affiliate
presidents to participate. We are planning for dinner at the National
Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute on Saturday, February 8, with
some program after dinner. We will then plan to meet all day on Sunday,
February 9. We will plan to offer dinner on Sunday night and can transport
people to Washington, DC, that evening. As you will find below, affiliate
presidents are encouraged to participate in the legislative training
beginning at 9:00 a.m. at the Holiday Inn on February 10. Please send an
email to Beth Braun at bbraun at nfb.org with the following information by
Friday, November 22:

1. Are you planning to attend this gathering for affiliate presidents?

2. What three topics are of most interest to you?

3. What specific question(s) are you hoping to have answered at this
gathering? For example, what is the best way for affiliates to manage
state-level legislation?

4. What specific area of expertise do you bring to the gathering that we
might be able to utilize in putting together program items/sessions?

5. What is the biggest area of need in your affiliate (be specific)?

We look forward to having all of you in Baltimore at the beginning of
February.
News:

Public Briefing on Elimination of 14(c):
On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 9:00 a.m., the United States Commission on
Civil Rights will hold a public briefing on the elimination of Section
14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Anil Lewis will testify on behalf of
the National Federation of the Blind. Our members are welcome to submit
comments to subminimumwages at usccr.gov for the commission’s consideration no
later than December 15, 2019. From this investigation, the commission plans
to issue a report with actionable recommendations to address this critical
civil rights issue.
Great Gathering-In:

The Washington Seminar Great Gathering-In will be Monday, February 10, 2020
from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. In addition, all affiliate presidents and
legislative directors are urged to attend an in-depth training scheduled
for that same day at the Holiday Inn from 9:00 a.m. to noon. We will also
be conducting the usual training from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. All Washington
Seminar participants are urged to attend the afternoon training session. In
order to make sure everyone is available, we will not be scheduling any
other meetings during this time frame. Finally, we are planning to host a
Congressional reception on Tuesday, February 11 from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. All
Washington Seminar participants are urged to attend this reception.
Reminder:

Braille Letters from Santa:
It is time for Santa letters. From now until December 16, parents can go
online at www.nfb.org/santa-letters and fill out a request for a Braille
letter from Santa. The form can also be printed and faxed to 410-685-2340
or emailed to communityrelations at nfb.org. Beginning Monday, December 2, the
Braille letters from Santa will start going out to boys and girls around
the country. The Braille letter will also be accompanied by a print copy
(for mom and dad to read) as well as some other fun Christmastime
activities. The deadline for letter requests is December 16 to ensure that
a return letter in Braille is received before Christmas. For more
information, visit www.nfb.org.
Dates to Keep in Mind:

   - January 9-11, 2020: NFB BELL® Academy Training Seminar
   - February 10, 2020: Great Gathering-In; Washington Seminar begins
   - March 26-27, 2020: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium, Baltimore, Maryland
   - April 14-17, 2020: NABM BLAST <http://www.blindmerchants.org>;
   Chicago, Illinois
   - July 14-19, 2020: NFB National Convention, Houston, Texas

blindness is not what holds you back.

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/200+East+Wells+Street,+Baltimore,+MD+21230?entry=gmail&source=g>

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>

                         [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>    [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>    [image: Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.