[NFBWV-Talk] MILESTONES

Ed McDonald ed at eioproductions.com
Sat Sep 7 19:03:41 UTC 2019

Dear Friends,

We know that there are those events--some ceremonial and some circumstantial--which mark milestones in our lives.  Sometimes we don't recognize them until after they occur, but this one is pretty clearly a milestone.

Tomorrow night will be the last time my voice is heard statewide (and even worldwide, for that matter) as host of a weekly radio show on West Virginia Public Broadcasting (WVPB).  I knew in my gut that it was time to retire and move on, and so it is something I have been planning for some time.  !  Nevertheless, the end came a little more quickly and in a way that I had not anticipated.  I declared that I wanted to conclude production of the show by the end of 2019, but asked the folks at WVPB to decide on an ending date that would work best for them.  As a result of an overlooked email message (it's Outlook's fault, if anyone is to blame), I learned just two days before the delivery deadline that this Sunday, September 8, would be my last WVPB broadcast.  This meant some quick decisions about what to say and what to play for an appropriate farewell show.  Ultimately, it was better this way, since it prevented a slow and agonizing demise.  For those who care to hear the result, it will be tomorrow evening at 8:00 on WV Public Broadcasting

www.wvpublic.org

With Karen's constant help, I have been doing some kind of weekly music show on the radio for about 25 years, and so closing a chapter that has been such a significant part of our lives for so long is a big deal.  Maybe I'll reflect a little more on the business of life's decisions and transitions and the role that blindness has played in all of that during our upcoming convention of the National Federation of the Blind of West Virginia, but that's a different story for another time.

Meanwhile, perhaps the most important part of this milestone event is that we will now be able to extend our love of radio and music even more fully into the work of building Mountain Streams Radio, our local little LPFM station, into something valuable and sustainable for the music and for the community.

I will not add further to the drama of the occasion.  Just something I wanted to share with some of you who may care.  So let me send it before I overthink it!

Peace,

Ed