[NFBWV-Talk] Barbara Smith Obituary

Ed McDonald ed at eioproductions.com
Sun Apr 26 21:47:31 UTC 2020

Earlier this afternoon I spoke by phone with our dear friend and colleague, Mike Smith, whose wife Barbara passed away on April 8.  Mike described Barb as "the love of my life," and he told me in his own wry way, "I know where she's at, but I'm jealous."

As many already know, Mike is a long-time leader and former president of the National Federation of the Blind of West Virginia.  He and Barb are inductees into the NFBWV Hall of Honor.

Their life's work has been the International Christian Braille Mission, which relocated in 2016 from Charleston, WV, to the campus of Mike's Alma Mater, Kentucky Christian University in Grayson, KY.

Mike is a man of strong faith and spirit, and--despite such a profound loss--appears to be moving ahead with his work and his life.

The following obituary comes from Malone Funeral Home in Grayson.

Barbara Jo Smith, 76 of Grayson went to be with her Lord on Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at her residence. Barbara was born October 31, 1943 in Brush, Colorado, a daughter of the late Paul Turner Sr. and Bella Cannon Turner. She was a member of the First Church of Christ of Grayson, National Federation of the Blind in Kentucky and West Virginia. She was a missionary co-founder of International Christian Braille Mission, Inc. (ICBM) producing and distributing New Testament Christian literature in formats readable by blind and visually impaired individuals. She was preceded in death by two brothers, Larry and Paul Turner. She is survived by her husband of 38 years Michael Ray Smith of Grayson and one brother, Richard (Carol) Turner of Hanover KA.
There will be a live video stream of her service, April 13, 2020, 11:00 a.m. from Nash Chapel on the campus of Kentucky Christian University by Bro. Ben James, minister. Burial will be in the Hillcrest Cemetery. All services will be private. "Now her mind was made up: 'we have been together for many years. Where you go, I go'" Ida Straus said to her husband Isidor the night the Titanic was sinking in the book "A Night to Remember" by Walter Lord. Contributions are suggested to, International Christian Brail Mission, P.O. Box 520, Grayson, KY 41143. Due to health circumstances beyond anyone's control, please consider leaving a message or memory of Barbara to Mike at

www.malonefuneralhome.com