[NFBWV-Talk] Fwd: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 08/03/2020

Sheri Koch skochnfbwv at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 20:18:38 UTC 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: President, National Federation of the Blind <
OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>
Date: Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 3:45 PM
Subject: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 08/03/2020
To: President, National Federation of the Blind <
OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>

President’s Notebook National Federation of the Blind Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org 410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

The dog days of summer are here, but the work of the Federation has not
slowed down. As a number of affiliates have begun planning for virtual
conventions, we will be thinking through resources we can provide
affiliates to navigate the current environment. There are a number of items
below for you to share with various segments of the membership.

I want to call your attention to the fact that the August Presidential
Release
<https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/2020-07/PR496%20August%202020.mp3>
is out. You will note that the September release will be live on the first
of September.

We have a number of staff positions available at the Federation
headquarters. Some positions are posted and others are not yet written. If
you know of members looking to join a dynamic movement in full-time
employment, please invite them to submit a cover letter and resume for one
of the positions posted at https://www.nfb.org/about-us/career-opportunities.
You can encourage members to submit general interest in employment to the
Federation. We are always looking for talented people.

Have a great week.
  News *Sami’s Law: *

Sami’s Law passed in the House on Wednesday, July 29. Representative Chris
Smith, who spoke at our Congressional Reception earlier this year,
specifically thanked the National Federation of the Blind from the House
floor. We are urging the Senate to immediately pass the House bill, H.R.
4686, via unanimous consent.
  *SAFE TO WORK Act: *

On Monday, July 27, Senators Cornyn and McConnell introduced the SAFE TO
WORK Act, S. 4317. The National Federation of the Blind opposes all
references to the Americans with Disabilities Act in Section 181 of this
bill. As currently drafted, Section 181 would eliminate critical
protections provided by the Americans with Disabilities Act beginning
December 1, 2019 and ending October 1, 2024. Specifically, we urge Congress
to strike the reference to the Americans with Disabilities Act contained in
the definition of “covered Federal employment law” and to completely strike
Section 181(b) entitled “Public Accommodation Laws.” Watch for a
legislative alert on this and on Sami’s Law.
  *Continuing the ADA Conversation:*

Join us on Twitter Wednesday, August 12, at 2:00 p.m. eastern for our
Twitter chat focused on the ADA. This will be a continuation of our panel
discussion, “Leveraging the ADA,” that took place during the #NFB20
<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/nfb20?__eep__=6&source=feed_text&epa=HASHTAG&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARB4pho-Y2i_XtQTrHScv7zesvtj39kiE5q_aE8npwQCIS0jNFFlFXDOuB5eXBsi8SdJzR9Krj1pSWUNFkBED0_pfL9Q2yzV9HbKsmol4VHPU6Xm_cxgFmbSwZXeDY36Yn70wV6MxY1W3jleHi_qsL1upi7KMA7ervw0sStrJ_WECP-B0j1TPjGcmkh65QuRlYyfv8hWIc_jyljLTGpdbhKHtyN6ZrnLr684a936weyif3qeaamr0eLXjSZPD1Fa2_RNl4SCv6KmEKgcQRgEF_MJM1Aj8H3OURtIWVI04_OkOTBiN4YVAIjk1OjhU2AkUZpPV6N9cWIF60d98g&__tn__=%2ANK-R>
National Convention. For more updates and information, follow us on Twitter
at @NFB_Voice. To view the panel discussion from the convention, visit our
YouTube channel <https://youtu.be/1Ecmf9bAec8>.

*Upcoming Accessibility Boutique**—Technology and Training Options for
Seniors:*

Join us on Tuesday, August 25, at 2:00 p.m. eastern to learn more about
easy, accessible, and powerful tools for seniors. Accessibility boutiques
are workshops presented by National Federation of the Blind access
technology experts that provide introductions to accessibility best
practices and the latest trends in access tech. Learn more and register now
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques>
!

*Early Childhood Initiatives:*

The National Federation of the Blind’s early childhood initiatives are
great resources for young blind children and their families, providing
guidance on literacy and independent travel. Families with blind children
up to eight years old can sign up for the Braille Reading Pals Club, which
provides Braille books and other fun Braille activities at no cost, and our
Early Explorers initiative, which encourages independent travel and
exploration, also free to participants. Share the programs and early
childhood application today
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives>!

*NFB-NEWSLINE®: *

In the early days of the pandemic, when information on COVID-19 was more
difficult to obtain, the National Federation of the Blind made NFB-NEWSLINE
available in all non-sponsored states. This policy will end August 31.
Current non-sponsored states are Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, South
Dakota, Wyoming, and Puerto Rico.

*Duke University:*

As it relates to the NFB’s lawsuit against Duke University
<https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-sues-duke-university>,
we are hoping to hear from any blind students currently attending or
planning to attend Duke. Please contact Valerie Yingling at
vyingling at nfb.org if this applies to you.

Dates to Keep in Mind

   - July 27-August 7: NFB BELL® In-Home Edition
   - September 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - September 13: Open-House Gathering call, 4:00 p.m. eastern
   - October 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - October: Meet the Blind Month
   - November 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - December 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - December 9: Open-House Gathering call, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - February 8, 2021: Washington Seminar Great Gathering-In

blindness is not what holds you back.

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/200+East+Wells+Street,+Baltimore,+MD+21230?entry=gmail&source=g>

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>

                         [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>    [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>    [image: Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.