[NFBWV-Talk] Please Assist with Legislation

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Tue Feb 18 15:41:53 UTC 2020

Dear Fellow Federationists,

As you know, the National Federation of the Blind conducted its annual "March on Washington" last week.  President Sheri Koch, Treasurer Sandy Streets and I represented West Virginia by meeting with our senators and members of the House of Representatives to inform them about 3 pieces of legislation we want them to sponsor and support.

We are requesting that you help us to get them to sponsor the bills by either calling, writing, or E-mailing their offices to request their sponsorship.  This way, they know that blind West Virginias are concerned about these issues.

In 5 separate E-mails, I am going to send you sample information you can use when communicating with their offices.  If you have a personal story that will help convey the need for this legislation, please convey that as well.  Please try to make the information yours as much as possible.

I am going to provide you with the name of the senator or member of the house, the person with who we met, as well as ways you can contact them.  Please take time to do this as it affects all our lives.

If you need any assistance, please reach out to me, Ed, or Sheri and we will be glad to provide it.

Please be aware that I will not be available tomorrow as I am having surgery on my left wrist to remove the plate and screws inserted a few years ago.

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Charlene Smyth
Legislative Director