[NFBWV-Talk] Sen. Capito to Co-Sponsor ATAA

Marcus Soulsby (NFBWV) msoulsby at nfbwv.org
Thu Feb 11 21:19:32 UTC 2021

I am very pleased to announce that I have just learned that, after our
presentation to Senator Shelley Moore Capito during Washington Seminar this
week, the Senator has graciously agreed to once again become a co-sponsor of
the Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA), an NFB legislative
initiative aimed at issuing "refundable" tax credits (that is, the taxpayer
gets the money even if they owe less taxes) for purchase of Braille and low
vision access hardware and software, making independent living potentially
more within reach to many blind Americans.

Many special thanks go to Legislative Coordinator Chad Keeney for his
thorough endeavors, as well as the team of Keryl Rustin (the lead for the
ATAA presentation), Ed McDonald, Karen McDonald, and Rick Richmond who made
very passionate, persuasive presentations on behalf of NFBWV this week.  We
had many members of the team who either had this be their first time, or
first time in a while, and I can tell you they all did a fantastic job that
now has some proven results.

Marcus E. Soulsby

President, NFB of West Virginia

 <mailto:msoulsby at nfbwv.org> msoulsby at nfbwv.org

Learn more about the National Federation of the Blind at:

 <http://www.nfb.org/> http://www.nfb.org/

 <http://www.nfbwv.org/> http://www.nfbwv.org/