[NFBWV-Talk] Andy Baughman

Marcus Soulsby (NFBWV) msoulsby at nfbwv.org
Sat Jan 16 17:33:24 UTC 2021

For many years, Andy (George Andrew Baughman) was a true pillar of our Federation movement statewide.  Very active in the Harrison County chapter (and, in later years, the Members at Large chapter), he was very instrumental in fundraising and building membership. He really knew the inns and outs about a lot of things to do with bringing money in, such as storefront raffles at Kroger and Walmart, bake sales, etc.

He had served as a chapter representative to the Board of Directors for many years, and often recanted many tenants of Federation  philosophy as well as pointers from Dr. Mauer, which served as reminders for the importance of things like not only fundraising but independent living as well. He was well-versed in Federation philosophy and strived for a fulfilled and independent life every chance he could.

Andy was one of the first Federation members outside of my local chapter that really welcomed me into the Federation warmly after I joined and really took an interest in getting to know me. He was very interested in building membership amongst the younger set, and really understood the importance of passing the torch on.  We often had good times together, and whenever you visited Andy and Charlene, they really went out of their way to make you feel welcome.  He really was all about the fellowship of the organization and knew how important that fellowship and cohesiveness was in making our movement more productive.

He will always serve as a lesson and testament as well as an inspiration to us all.  He not only talked the talk, but walked the walk as well.

I often think of the days when Andy was a very active member as “the good old days“. Since he has not been with us, I really do realize even more how much he added to our organization. He will be missed now, but his legacy shall live on.

Let us not forget that lesson as we will not forget him.

Marcus Soulsby
President, NFBWV

Sent from my iPad