[Njagdu] "fake" service animals

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sun Aug 18 16:11:44 UTC 2013

Thanks for the minutes to the last meeting.
There is a lively discussion on NAGDU right now about "fake" service
animals.
The ADA states that one is not required to show an ID for one's service dog.
It also states that a business may require a service dog that is behaving
badly to be removed from the business, though the disabled person must still
be served without the dog.
I think the best approach would be to educate businesses about their right
to ask badly behaved animals to leave.  I've seen trained guide dogs whose
handlers let them get away with stuff they shouldn't.  I've seen pets whose
owners have taken the time to ensure that the dog behaves well in public.
If a dog is behaving well, I don't really care if its person has ID for it
or not.
Tracy