[Njagdu] Same gender screening for dogs at airport

Ginger Kutsch GingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 21 15:26:03 UTC 2013

FYI. In preparation for the upcoming TSA focus group meeting, The Seeing Eye
requested feedback from its grads about their airport screening experiences
at security checkpoints.

A number of grads reported concern over delays when TSA officers call for a
same gender officer to pat down the dog. I emailed TSA to ask about this
procedure and here is the response:

"Our procedures do not require same gender screening of service animals, so
these officers are in error if they are saying that this is TSA's

policy.  I recommend that they inform the officer up front (at the

beginning of screening) that they are comfortable with opposite gender

screening of the animal."

The grads reporting this issue stated that they were first asked what gender
their dogs were before a same gender officer was called so this could also
be an alternative time to speak up.

Best,

Ginger