[Njagdu] Florida - Scared Publix customer sprays seeing-eye dog with bleach

Ginger Kutsch GingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Tue May 21 19:03:29 UTC 2013

Scared Publix customer sprays seeing-eye dog with bleach

Sunrise resident cited for animal cruelty

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-service-dog-cruelty-20130520,0,447298.st
ory

SUNRISE - A seeing-eye dog had bleach squirted in its eyes at a Publix
grocery store when a 67-year-old woman intentionally sprayed the animal in
an unprovoked attack, a police report says.

The 5-year-old yellow Labrador retriever appeared uninjured, the report
said, but Patricia Lawler, of Sunrise, was cited for animal cruelty and
given a notice to appear after the 4:15 p.m. Saturday incident at the store
at 10155 W. Oakland Park Blvd.

Lawler told police she "thought it was a vicious animal" and feared it would
be a danger to other customers, so she grabbed a spray bottle of Clorox
cleaner off a shelf and sprayed the animal in the eyes and back.

"I realize now it was a mistake," Lawler said when reached by telephone
Monday. "I have a fear of dogs. It was just a big dog with a big head. I was
just afraid."

Lawler said she takes medication for schizoaffective disorder, and paranoia
is one the symptoms associated with her mental illness.

The dog's owner, Ronda Carin Shore, 45, also of Sunrise, told police she is
blind and keeps the canine with her at all times. It was wearing a
service-dog vest, an assist handle and a placard, the report said.

Shore declined to comment Monday.

Although the dog wasn't exhibiting aggressive behavior, Lawler said she got
scared when she saw it and asked Shore to leave the store with the dog. When
that didn't produce results, she said she resorted to the spray bleach to
get rid of the animal.

"I was afraid the dog would go wild, or some small child would get bitten,
or somebody would get hurt," Lawler said. "I guess I overreacted. But I
still feel like a dog doesn't belong in a place like a grocery store."

If convicted of the first-degree misdemeanor, Lawler faces up to a year in
jail and/or a $5,000 fine.