[Njagdu] American Kennel Club Offers Tips For Protecting Your Dog In Support Of 'Fire Safety Week'

Ginger Kutsch GingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 17 16:16:17 UTC 2014

American Kennel Club Offers Tips For Protecting Your Dog In Support Of 'Fire
Safety Week'

[Tuesday, October 05, 2004]

New York, NY — As the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) gears up
for "Fire Safety Week" October 3-9, the American Kennel Club reminds dog
owners to consider their canine companions when it comes to fire safety.

"Many animal lovers consider their pets to be members of the family," said
AKC spokesperson Gail Miller. "In the unfortunate circumstance of a fire,
the safety of the people living in the household is unquestionably most
critical. However, for many families, it would be devastating to have to the
tragedy of a house fire compounded by the loss of a beloved pet who could
have been saved with some simple planning and forethought."

• Be sure that your dog and other pets are part of your organized evacuation
plan. Rehearse your plan repeatedly with your family, including your dog.

• Assemble a dog disaster kit including: a supply of your dog's kibble and
treats, water, vaccination records and medications, emergency contact
information including your veterinarian’s number, a favorite toy and an
extra leash and collar with your dog's identification.

• Listen to your dog! Canines have the ability to smell smoke long before
humans. If your dog is acting strangely, look into the situation promptly
and be prepared to gather your family and follow your evacuation plan.

• Fire experts say the number-one reason dogs perish in fires is because
they are confined to their pens and can not escape. Be sure your fire plan
accounts for crated dogs.

• Research canine organizations in your area ahead of time, so you will have
a place to board your dog in case of emergency.

• Consider installing a dog door leading outside so that an endangered dog
has a chance to escape on its own.

• Increase the chances of your dog's rescue by putting a sticker on your
door reading, "DOG INSIDE. IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, PLEASE RESCUE"

• When not at home, keep your dog on the ground floor so it will be easier
to rescue.

• Give a key to a trusted neighbor, and make sure they know where the dog
might be located within the house so they can inform firefighters.

• If your dog was in a smoke-filled building, or if you can smell smoke on
its fur, take it to your veterinarian for review. Toxic fumes can be deadly.

• Microchip your dog, and enroll in the AKC Companion Animal Recovery
(AKC-CAR) database. If your dog gets lost during a fire, a microchip will
increase your chances of being reunited. For more information, visit
www.akccar.org

• A dog is a member of the family, and its safety depends on your ability to
comply with standard fire safety measures. Be sure to have working smoke
detectors on every level of the home and near bedrooms, and keep hallways
and home exits free of clutter.

AKC Homepage|

About this Site|

Employment|

Contact Us|

Corporate Advertising|

Privacy Statement|

Terms of Use|

Your CA Privacy Rights© 2010 American Kennel Club® (AKC Copyright and
Trademark Statement)  Home|

Press|

Store|

Dog.com|

Customer Service|

About|

Online ServicesSearch: My AKC

Enter Account Name

Enter User Password

Getting Started

Create Account

Forgot Password?

Forgot Account Name?

----

Free eNewsletter Signup Click here

----

AKC News

News HomepageLegislative AlertsNews Archive

----

Legislative Alerts

----

Translate This Page

ChineseEspañolFrançaisDeutschPortugeseFollow Us

Quick Poll:

Special interest groups buy stock in pet products companies to influence the
company's behavior. How do you, as a responsible pet owner, make your voice
heard? (check all that apply)

   I send written messages to companies

  I send messages through my purchasing decisions

  I talk about pet issues at shows or at the dog park

  I post to Facebook or other social media

  I donate to organizations that speak for me

 deerhound - ecom - a