[Njagdu] Happy Easter to all but please be aware: Read below and keep your dog safe!

Patricia Ebel patriciaebel0302 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 5 03:27:17 UTC 2015

ARTICLE

DOGS AND CHOCOLATE ARE A DEADLY COMBINATION

The problem with chocolate

Chocolate is made from cocoa beans, which contain caffeine. Chocolate also
contains a chemical compound called theobromine, which can be toxic to dogs.
The combination of caffeine and theobromine can affect your dog's
gastrointestinal system, nervous system and heart, and could ultimately lead
to seizures or heart attack.

Chocolate becomes an issue especially around Easter, Halloween and the
winter holidays. Dog-more than cats-are attracted to the smell and taste of
chocolate, particularly if they've had it before. Always keep chocolate out
of reach and teach children about the dangers of feeding chocolate to your
family pet.

What happens when dogs eat chocolate?

Weight, age, health and the type and amount of chocolate consumed are all
factors in how sick your dog could become if he eats chocolate. The smaller
the pet, the less chocolate it takes to make them sick.

*	For a 16-pound dog, it would only take four ounces of baking
chocolate (or one pound of milk chocolate);
*	For a 10-pound cat, it would only take about one ounce of baking
chocolate. Chocolate is less appealing to cats since they do not have sweet
taste receptors. Even so, keep chocolate ice cream, chocolate cake, brownies
or any other sweets containing chocolate out of reach, and place them
somewhere secure when you leave a room.

Even a small amount of chocolate can cause vomiting and diarrhea. The
concentration of theobromine is highest in dark chocolate, making it the
most potentially toxic.

*	Baking chocolate contains about 450 milligrams of theobromine per
ounce;
*	Semi-sweet chocolate contains about 260 milligrams per ounce;
*	Milk chocolate contains about 60 milligrams per ounce.

Poisoning can occur at a dose as low as 220 milligrams per pound of body
weight.

At lower doses, the symptoms of theobromine poisoning are primarily
gastrointestinal. At higher doses, your dog or cat could die from irregular
heartbeats (cardiac arrhythmia) or failure of the heart to beat (cardiac
arrest).

You may notice symptoms a couple of hours after your pet has eaten
chocolate, or it could take up to several hours. Theobromine poisoning can
usually be treated if caught in the early stages. Call your veterinarian or
the Pet Poison Control Center (1-888-426-4435*) immediately if you notice
any these symptoms:

*	Vomiting
*	Diarrhea
*	Tremors or shaking
*	Seizures or convulsions
*	Excessive thirst
*	Frequent urination
*	Excessive panting
*	Hyperactivity
*	Lack of coordination or wobbly movements (ataxia)
*	Elevated body temperature (hyperthermia)
*	Irregular heartbeats

Diagnosis

If you discover your dog eating chocolate, take it away and call your
veterinarian. If your veterinarian's office is closed, call an emergency
veterinarian or the Pet Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435*. Tell your
veterinarian what type of chocolate your dog ate, what amount and when the
chocolate was consumed, if known. Your veterinarian will perform a physical
exam, followed possibly by a chemical blood profile, electrolyte panel and a
urinalysis. An ECG may also help determine if there are any heartbeat
abnormalities.

Treatment

There is no antidote for theobromine poisoning. Treatment will depend on the
severity of the poisoning. Your veterinarian may decide to induce vomiting
by pumping (lavaging) your pet's stomach. To prevent further absorption,
activated charcoal may be administered. Your pet may receive intravenous
fluids and oxygen. In extreme cases, abnormal heart rhythms and seizures
will be treated as they occur.

Prognosis

In most cases, your pet will recover from theobromine poisoning. With
hospitalization and aggressive, supportive care (for at least 12-48 hours),
your pet will likely recover. Occasionally a fatality occurs if a pet
(usually a dog) has consumed a large amount of chocolate and treatment has
been delayed until the chocolate has been fully absorbed.

* There is a charge for this call. Ask for the cost before proceeding.

The best course of action is prevention. When you have chocolate around the
house, be away of it and your pet so you can avoid an emergency situation.