[Njagdu] Fwd: Halloween Safety, Blood Donors Needed, & New Doctors

patriciaebel0302 at comcast.net patriciaebel0302 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 1 12:11:12 UTC 2017

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Anna DeSantis" <annades at optonline.net>
Date: October 31, 2017 at 1:06:07 PM EDT
To: "Trish Ebel" <patriciaebel0302 at comcast.net>
Cc: "Jerilyn Higgins" <jerilynhiggins at gmail.com>, "Dan Facchini" <danfb at verizon.net>, "Vincent Chaney Jr." <vgc732 at optonline.net>
Subject: FW: Halloween Safety, Blood Donors Needed, & New Doctors

From: Red Bank Veterinary Hospital [mailto:RBVHpetnews at rbvh.net]
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2017 3:02 PM
To: Anna DeSantis

Celebrating Halloween with pets can be fun if you're careful. Check out our safety tips.
Plus, meet a dog who received a life-saving blood transfusion through our blood bank, help us welcome our new doctors,
and learn about the dangers of bromethalin.
Having trouble viewing this email? Click here to view this email in your browser.

Red Bank Veterinary Hospital
NETWORK NEWS
Howl-o-ween Safety

We are one day away from celebrating Halloween and we know many of you will be dressing up your pets and involving them in the fun.

While we mention this every year, please be aware of the following hazards:

FOOD

• Chocolate (can cause vomiting/diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst/urination, hyperactivity, increased heart rate, tremors, seizures, and even death)
• Excessive amounts of sugary treats (can lead to hyperactivity, increased heart rate, upset stomach, vomiting/diarrhea)
• Any food, treats, gum, or candy containing the artificial sweetener, Xylitol (known to cause life-threatening low blood sugar, and liver toxicity)
• Candy/food containing grapes and/or raisins (may cause acute kidney failure)
• Candy Wrappers (may cause an upset stomach or intestinal blockages)

See a complete list of toxic foods and plants and their effects at the poison control section of the ASPCA’s website

TRICK OR TREATERS & PARTY GUESTS

Extra household traffic offers challenges for pet owners. Be aware of the following:

• Frequently opened doors present an opportunity for pets to escape. Be sure that your pet is wearing identification (i.e. tag and/or a microchip) and is kept secured in a separate room
• If you take your dog trick or treating, keep him/her on a reflective leash at all times, wearing identification
• The constant sound of a doorbell ringing may be stressful. Friends and family should be careful around anxious pets. Animals may act out with behaviors that you aren’t accustomed to seeing when they feel threatened, afraid, or overwhelmed. Consider these warnings: Is your pet growling or snapping? Are their ears pressed back against their head? Is their fur standing up along their back?
• In the flurry of activity, party guests may feed your pets too much “people food”. This can cause an upset stomach and other health concerns. Also make sure that pets don’t get into food or candy when no one is looking. Provide treats made especially for dogs/cats for guests to give your pet.

PRANKS

During this time of year, some individuals set out to cause mischief and pets may be intentionally or unintentionally harmed in the process.

• Cats, and especially black cats, are subject to cruel pranks. We recommend that you keep your cat indoors a few days before and after Halloween.
• Do not leave dogs outdoors and unattended.

For more Halloween safety tips, check out our blog.

Bromethalin

With cooler temperatures upon us and mice coming into our homes to find a warm place to stay, remain aware of the dangers of bromethalin, an ingredient in a certain type of rodenticide. What makes this over-the-counter rodenticide even more dangerous is that there is no antidote, meaning there is no specific treatment designed to counteract the effects of the poison once it begins to affect the body.

Symptoms

Bromethalin-poisoned cats develop rapidly deteriorating neurologic symptoms and unfortunately, once these symptoms develop, most cats do not survive.  These symptoms include:

§  Weakness
§  Wobbling and incoordination
§  Dullness
§  Seizures
§  Coma
§  Death
Bromethalin is a poison that causes fluid to abnormally accumulate in the brain and spinal cord, causing severe swelling of these tissues.  This swelling results in the neurologic symptoms described above. The best diagnostic imaging test to detect this swelling is MRI.

While there is no antidote for bromethalin poisoning, there is a very short period of time to try to block the toxin from being absorbed by the body after it is eaten so time is of the essence to seek medical attention.

Exposure

The best prevention is to not use rodenticides in and around your home, especially those containing bromethalin, and to keep outdoor cats under strict supervision if they are prone to hunting. Cats can be exposed to the poison by eating it directly or by eating mice or rats who have already ingested the toxin.  These mice or rats cannot move normally after toxin ingestion, making them easy prey for inquisitive cats.  While cats are the most sensitive, dogs can also be affected by bromethalin. In both cats and dogs, only small amounts of bromethalin are required to cause toxicity leading to death.

For information on what to do if your pet eats rodenticide, including who to call, read our blog.

If you are ever concerned about the health of your pet, our locations are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year:

RBVH in Tinton Falls
(732) 747-3636

RBVH in Hillsborough
(908) 359-3161

RBVH in Mount Laurel
(856) 429-4394

Red Bank Veterinary Hospital
TINTON FALLS
Meet Our New Doctors

Rebecca Flores, DVM, DACVECC
Critical Care Department
RBVH in Tinton Falls

Joseph Jacovino, DVM
Practice Limited to Radiation Oncology
Radiation Oncology Department
RBVH in Tinton Falls

Lillian Chang, DVM
Emergency Department
RBVH in Tinton Falls

Blood Donors Needed

The Wyatt Goldthwaite Veterinary Blood Bank began in 2007, thanks to a generous donation by the Goldthwaite family in memory of their beloved dog, Wyatt. While being treated by the RBVH Oncology Department, Wyatt was the recipient of several blood transfusions.

It was the family's hope that a dedicated blood bank would enable RBVH to continue providing advanced care and blood products to critically ill patients.