[Njagdu] Man upset after Lyft driver refuses to transport his service animal

Ginger Kutsch Ginger at ky2d.com
Sun Sep 17 17:50:11 UTC 2017

FYI. This is the third incident that I've heard about where a handler was
denied transport when his/her service animal needed emergency care. In these
instances, riders may want to notify the driver about the service animal
right away so precious time isn't lost waiting for a driver who refuses
access.

Man upset after Lyft driver denies him, service dog ride

By: abc15.com staff

Sep 16, 2017

PHOENIX - A Valley man is upset after a Lyft driver canceled his ride while
his dog was in need of emergency care.

Doug Shaughnessy says he requested a Lyft after his dog needed to see an
emergency veterinarian. He explained that after waiting nine minutes for the
driver, David, as he stood outside his house, he saw the car leave after the
man spotted his service dog.

".The driver took off right in front of me and my badly injured service dog
- shaking his head 'no' with the window up," Shaughnessy said. "That's the
only communication that occurred."

Shaughnessy says he was trimming his pup's nails when he accidentally cut
one too short. Usually, he would've been OK to drive his dog to the vet but
because of her injury, she didn't want to leave his side.

"She wanted to hug me and be on my lap so I couldn't drive," he explained. I
couldn't have her on my lap at the same time."

Luckily Shaughnessy was able to hail a second ride. However, he's still
angry about the unfortunate incident.

"I at least would have respected him more for saying something instead of
just taking off and leaving me with no option," he said.

His second driver suggested that he report it - explaining that it's against
the policy to refuse a ride to a service pet.

Shaughnessy did receive a response from the Lyft team saying "Our safety
team has followed up with the driver appropriately" but he says that's just
not enough.

"Honestly, I'd appreciate some sort of an apology and owning up to the
situation," he said.

A Lyft spokesperson told ABC15 that they take discrimination very seriously.
They are continuing to look into the complaint and the driver will be
disciplined. At this time, they're not sure what actions are needed.

According to their policy, failure to comply with their service animal rule
means they could be banned from driving for the platform.

Source:
http://www.abc15.com/news/state/man-upset-after-lyft-driver-denies-him-servi
ce-dog-ride