[Oabs] Update

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 16:24:16 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I just wanted to send out a quick message about a couple of things.

You may have read in the minutes from the board meeting held on Jan 31 that
those who were present elected to change our meetings up a bit.  In order to
reduce the time spent in meetings each month, we have decided to alternate
between membership and business meetings.  February will be a membership
call, March will be business, and so on and so forth.  We hope that this
will reduce the length of each meeting to a more manageable length.
Additionally, we will begin recording our calls so the meeting can be
available for those who were not present on the call.

This month's membership call will feature Macy McClain, a recent graduate of
the Louisiana Center for the Blind.  Last year we heard from LCB's director,
Pam Allen, but this year we'll get to hear about the training center
experience from an Ohio student herself.  If you have any interest in
attending one of the NFB training centers, or think it may be an option for
you in the future, call in on Feb 21st to ask Macy about the experience she
had.  More information about this meeting will follow next week.

Board meetings will be held quarterly, with the next meeting most likely set
to take place in early May after the college students have finished finals.
The board meeting we had was really productive, and I would encourage
everyone to call in to the next one.  Remember, you do not need to be a
member of the board in order to participate.

Some of you have expressed interest to me about volunteering for the Ohio
Bell program in Columbus this year.  Unfortunately the bell committee was
delayed in looking over the volunteer application form that will need to be
filled out in order for Ohio Federationists to assist with the project, but
I expect that we will look at it soon.  Once it has been approved I will let
you know.  There are plenty of positions which need to be filled, ranging
from helping in the kitchen, to organizing, and working directly with the
children.  I can say from last year that it was an incredible experience,
and I think Aleeha would agree that we volunteers learned as much if not
more than the kids.  Not to mention it was fun for all involved.

Have a good weekend,

Kaiti Shelton

University of Dayton---2016

Music Therapy Major, Psychology Minor, Clarinet

Ohio Association of Blind Students, President

NFB Community Service Group, Service Project Committee Chair