[Oabs] awards packet

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 01:19:52 UTC 2014

Hi, OABS,

I have forwarded this email back to the list so I could make
corrections and add comments directly into the body of the email for
simplicity.  Aleeha, if you see comments of yours missing it is
because I addressed them.  E.G, it has been noted that you were a
mentor in the NABS mentoring program, so I got rid of that comment.  I
point this out as an example, because it is what I will do with anyone
else's comments they make to the form.  If you do make comments,
please do so in the manner in which Aleeha did by replying or
forwarding the email, or copy and pasting and then adding comments.
This will allow me to easily keep track of the updated information,
and will make editing easy for all of us.

***Reminder*** Please, please, please send me your membership roster
information by Thursday night!  I would love to be one of the first
few divisions/chapters to get that information turned in to Eric, as
it is really important to the affiliate.  Also, please take a moment
to consider your availability for the coming semester and when you can
participate in OABS meetings, what you might like to see happen in our
seminar at State Convention, and if you are planning on coming to
State Convention.  This information will be discussed in length at our
August meeting.

I also have a bit of good news and bad news.  The bad news is that our
spaghetti dinner fundraising idea is not feasible.  This is because
Art Schreiber will be attending our convention as a guest, and the
affiliate board is planning to have a Beatles Gala with an auction and
other festivities on Friday night.  Of course, Saturday night is out
of the question as that is the night of our banquet.  The good news is
that we are finding out about this now, and still have time to figure
out a plan B.  I would like everyone, not just members of fundraising
committee (although I know that's still most of us), to come up with a
suggestion to share at the August meeting.  An additional note for
those who were in the NAPUB Not the Royal Shakespeare production last
fall, and those who wanted to do it this year.  There will not be a
NAPUB play this year due to the conflict it would present with the
gala.

One final note, that I feel is very important.  I just got home from
attending the first NFB chapter meeting I've been to in years, and the
first local NFB function I've attended in 2014.  It was a really nice
meeting, and although I was the new kid in the class and didn't have
much to speak of, I got very excited just hearing others accounts of
National Convention and what Deborah had to say about the upcoming
State Convention.  It really got me revved up for what is to come in
the following months, and also being a big Beatles fan I got excited
to hear Art Schreiber speak, too.  I would encourage anyone who is not
involved with a local chapter to get in touch with your friendly
neighborhood chapter president.  We also have an at-large chapter for
those who do not live close to an established group, and if you're a
transient student who lives in one place and goes to school in
another, you can simultaneously be a part of two chapters.

Okay, enough business, now for the awards packet and further revisions.
> [...]
> because a candidate indicated interest in an NFB-sponsored piece of
> legislation, this is noteworthy, not only because we are making
> valuable friends through this effort, but because we are educating
> other campaign workers about the abilities of blind people.
>
> Question 4 seeks to identify and to promote inter-group activity as
> well as chapter or division programs, division support for chapters,
> and assistance to other elements of the Federation.
>
> Question 5 is an effort to understand what kind of fundraising each
> chapter or division is doing and how much of the work is actually
> completed by NFB members. It is also useful to know in what ways other
> organizations and individuals are or were brought into the fundraising
> process.
>
> Question 6 seeks to measure the proportion of chapter or division
> contributions to state and national work.  For example, if the chapter
> made a contribution to the state or national organization in order to
> assist in important projects, like the Washington Seminar or for
> members to attend the national convention, those contributions count
> for purposes of this question.
>
> We are now requiring all groups to answer Question 7. We should all be
> looking for the ways in which our members are becoming more
> sophisticated and experienced Federationists. This question requires
> chapter and division members to look at the larger picture. Answering
> it will increase your group's score and will help chapter and division
> leaders chart a sound course in the coming year.
>
> DIVISION GAVEL AWARD QUESTIONNAIRE 2014
>
> Division name: The Ohio Association of Blind Students
>
> Division President's name: Kaiti Shelton
>
> Current dues-paying membership: 0 Members.  (Dues were waved due to
> size of membership and lack of income until this year).
> (Note, I put this disclaimer in for the time being.  I have asked J.W
> how to best answer this question since until this point dues were
> waved by past presidents.  If he allows us to state that we will be
> paying dues now that we have the capability to with our bank account,
> and that we intend to make back payments for last year, it might help
> our case for earning the most improved division award).
>
> Membership last year: 7 Members.
> (There was some dispute over who we consider to be members.  Last year
> our roster was the people who received personal emails from me as
> secretary, since we did not use the list to communicate.  However,
> some of those members failed to show to any meetings, so the following
> members are currently considered members because they showed to at
> least one meeting.  Myself, Aleeha, Emily, Lillie, Amber, Kyle Conley,
> and Abby).
>
> Number of new members joining this year: (worth 1 pt. each):  4 members.
> (The four new members I have listed as joining are Elif, Joy, Macy, and
> Ryan.  Again, this is based on the people who have called in to at

Comment: Macy called into a call and is on our mailing list, so that
may be a bit of a gray area, but I'm wondering if we should count her,
even though she was a presenter.

My response:  I think that we might be able to count Macy, and here is
why.  Yes, she did attend a meeting as a speaker, but she also did do
a little advocacy work on our behalf by giving the OABS information to
alumni and current OSSB students via a facebook group.  Though she did
not call in as a member herself, her willingness to support the
organization and the fact that she is on our mailing list passes in my
book.  With the exception of Eric and Deborah who have assisted us
throughout the year, no one else in the affiliate who is not a student
division member has really stepped up to put the student division out
there to my knowledge.  So, I have adjusted the member count for the
time being.  Unless I hear from Macy that she does not want to be
considered a member for this year, we'll put her on.  Note that next
year, of course members will have to pay dues to the treasurer and a
lot of this confusion over what constitutes membership will be a thing
of the past.  Also note that I've left Aleeha's prior comment in for
the time being so that our reasoning behind the numbers is clear.

> [...]
> another division or chapter; how many members took part in each?
> (worth 10 pts.)
> 3 members participated in the Ohio NAPUB performance of Sam Spade at
> the 2013 convention.  The Cincinnati chapter provided assistance to
> OABS while the division worked to set up its own bank account.  This
> assistance was for the the division as a whole, and involved
> Cincinnati setting up a subsidiary in their bank account for OABS to
> use on a temporary basis.  OABS president Kaiti Shelton has also
> networked with the presidents of the Indiana Association of Blind
> Students and the Michigan Association of Blind Students in hopes of
> collaborating on a membership event next summer.  The Massachusetts
> Association of Blind Students has also shown interest in acting as a
> "sister division" with Ohio, to share support, ideas, and advice from
> a different geographical region as well as a different region of NABS.
>

> B. List all state-affiliate-sponsored activities in which your
> division participated; how many members took part in each? (worth 10
> pts.)
> Bell, 2 members.  State convention 2013, 9 members.
>

> C. List all events sponsored by the national organization in which
> division members have participated this year; how many took part in
> each? (worth 10 pts.)
> National Convention, 6 members.  NFB STEM 2 U, 1 member accepted to
> begin participation in early Sept 2014 through May 2015.  2 members
> wrote articles for Future Reflections and were published in the NabS
> publication, The Student Slate.  1 member participated as a mentee in
> the NABS Mentoring Program, and was also on the committee responsible
> for planning the project.  1 member served as a mentor in the same NABS mentoring program.  2 members contributed to The Student Slate
> by serving as editors on the Slate committee in NABS.
>
> 5. What fundraising projects has your division engaged in during the
> past year? (worth 10 pts.)
> Raffle fundraiser at state convention 2013.  Raffle fundraiser (funds
> going to 2015 BELL program starter fund).
>
> A. Describe the extent to which division members take responsibility
> for such projects.
> We have a fundraising committee, but there has been some difficulty in
> getting fundraising projects off the ground.  Till late April we had a
> treasurer who did not uphold the responsibilities of her office, and
> our current treasurer has needed to work harder to establish a bank
> account in the midst of a fundraising endeavor.  Fundraising committee
> meetings are generally well attended, however some members clearly
> take more responsibility for their contributions to the projects than
> others.  Issues arise when the work is divided equally among committee
> members, and one or two people fail to follow through.
> My Comments: Do we really want to throw Abby and the fundraising committee under the bus like that?

My response:  After trying to re-word this response, I can say I'm
having trouble doing so while still answering the question honestly.
The question asks how much responsibility members have taken towards
fundraising projects, and we've definitely had some difficulties which
could have been avoided with a little more follow-through.  The answer
to the question above was not intended to throw the committee under
the bus, nor was it intended to throw our past treasurer under the
bus.  Note that I did not mention her by name (and most of the
affiliate would be hard pressed to even know who our current board is,
let alone a treasurer we had for under half a term since we've flown
under the radar for so long).  As for the committee, most chapters and
divisions in the affiliate, as well as throughout the national
organization, have hiccups in their committees and groups like this.
I think honesty will go a long way with the awards committee, and that
aside this is more than just an awards form.  This form is also my
mandatory report to the affiliate for the year.  It is important to
also be honest to the affiliate board so they accurately understand
how OABS has improved and where we still have room to grow.
However, this is precisely why J.W stated that this form is best
filled out as a group.  If anyone else can formulate another response
which still honestly depicts the fundraising endeavors of the
division, we can certainly add it to the table for discussion.  The
good thing about collaborating over email is that the awards packet is
truly a work in progress.

  > B. What role did outside organizations or sighted volunteers play in
> these activities?
> We had no sighted help with these projects.
>
> 6. Funding the projects and activities of the National Federation of
> the Blind at the local, state, and national levels is vitally
> important work for all of us. Answering the following questions will
> assist the awards committee to compute the percentages of financial
> support for each division. This will enable the committee to make
> useful comparisons.
>

> A. What was your division's bank balance as of September, 2013? $
>    and as of September, 2014? $
> Sept 2013, $0.00.  Sept 2014, $150.  (Note, this is a placeholder.  I
> will put in the actual amount once we have a better idea of what it
> will be at the conclusion of the raffle fundraiser).
>

> B. After subtracting all expenses associated with fundraising, how
> much money has your division raised during the year ending September,
> 2014? How much money came in from all other sources during this
> period?
No expenses were incurred.  (insert full bank balance from Sept 2014 here).

> My Comments: Just as a memory jog, we did not pay any money for the quilt that was donated by my grandmother.
My response:  Noted.  I'll leave the above comment in as a reminder,
along with my answer to the question as it stands.

>  C. How much money has your division contributed to the state affiliate
> during this period? How much financial assistance did your chapter
> contribute to members to attend the state convention in the form of
> grants? (worth 10 pts.)
$0.  >