[Oabs] Something that bugs me.

Emily Pennington via Oabs oabs at nfbnet.org
Tue Jun 3 03:08:24 UTC 2014

I think you're right; the buzzing is definitely a trigger for me. It's
easiest for me when I'm in a pool with at least one other person because I
rationalize that the bug is probably just getting a drink of water, as my
mom used to tell me. I think one of the scariest situations for me is like
the incident you described with the hornet; I don't feel or expect it on my
skin, so when I discover it, I get really freaked out because I feel like it
got past my senses and defenses. If it's on the window, I don't get as
scared because I figure it will stay by the light and leave me alone as long
as I don't come too close.
I would probably experiment with earthworms if I had to. All of those other
bugs creep me out to no end. Before my neighbors cut it down, they had this
tree in their yard which leaned into ours, and every spring, a whole bunch
of those fuzzy caterpillars -- called bagworms -- would blanket our yard in
a furry quilt. We could barely walk outside without one of those little guys
landing on us. I also remember going to Camp Kern in Cincinnati with my
school in fifth grade, and we did this nature activity which involved a lot
of bug observation. The teacher running the activity had me touch water
skaters and other such creatures, and I was tense and anxious the whole time
because I would never have chosen to do that on my own time.
Spiders are an even scarier thing for me because they make no noise. I don't
think we have many around our house, but the ones we do have hang from the
ceiling in our kitchen because our main door opens into that room, so they
get tracked in. I wouldn't know how to go about catching them either. Right
now, I'm praying my future children have more guts than I do on the arachnid
and insect front.