[Oabs] A word about elections (was) Recap from tonight's meeting.

Deborah Kendrick dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 19 08:35:10 UTC 2014

Kaiti and all,
This lengthy report and set of reminders is absolutely wonderful, and deserves commendation!  So there you have it!  Great job!
Now, I would also like to say a word about OABS elections.
This whole area is, of course, the business of all of you, but I do feel a responsibility at least to state an opinion.
The student division has been more organized and productive this last year with its current officers and board than in many years.
As you may have noticed, a pattern in the NFB is often to retain people in offices for long periods of time.  The rationale for that is that once leaders learn to work together and learn the ropes of the job, they are more efficient at doing the job than might be the case if there was a rapid turnover in leadership.
As you know. Dr. Maurer just retired after some nearly 30 years as president of the national organization.  Barbara Pierce served as our own state president for some 20.
Obviously, since students are not students for lots of years (or so it is hoped), there needs to be a more frequent change in the student division.
That said, having people in the same position for a couple of years can lend some significant stability.
You know the cliché "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Again, whatever you all do with elections is entirely your business, not mine, but I felt a responsibility to point these facts out to you.
And, let me say just one more word about elections.  If individuals do decide to run for offices not previously held, it is essential that you be open, respectful, and kind.
Those attitudes constitute success for any organization.
Peace,
Deborah