[Oabs] conference callnotes

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 05:46:22 UTC 2014

Also, I'm going to have to research this, but be careful.  I am pretty
sure the number that "Windows Firewall" popped up was fake, and that
it was a fishing scam.  The IT People seem to think this is the case
too, because the guy wanted to know where I was going to school, and
then wanted me to give him my credit card number to do a remote check
of my system.  When I said I would take it to IT first, he said,
"Well, they're probably not Microsoft certified, and we have level 3
technicians."  That doesn't sound like something someone in customer
service would say, plus I really don't care if the IT people have
Microsoft certification or not as long as they fix my laptop.  I
started to figure this out, so I said, "Okay, well I have the number
written down so I can call you back if I have more problems."  The IT
people think the guy was like, "Oh crap," because then he said, "I'm
just the help desk guy," and then the computer didn't have the issues
later on.  It looks like he tried to make a quick data hack, and then
when I told him people who actually know what they're doing with
computers would look at it and said I had the number (which I could
use to report him to the FBI and stuff), he retreated.  It's really
funny too, because both of the computer science students who looked at
my computer actually were Microsoft Certified.  Lol.