[Oabs] Meeting recap

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 04:52:58 UTC 2015

Hi, all,

It was just the board on tonight's meeting which means we failed to
achieve quorem.  However, as our raffle fundraiser is coming up fast
some planning needed to be done.  Nothing is official as under
parliamentary procedure we could not vote on any matters, but that is
where you all come in.  I need each of you to read this email
carefully and vote on it by 11:59 PM this coming Sunday.  I will check
after midnight and will tally the votes at that time.  Board members,
although you were all present I would like you to also respond with a
vote so I have an official statement from you.  In your vote email you
can also provide other suggestions you may have.

Here is what we decided upon for some strategies.  I will indicate
points upon which you need to vote with a number beside them.

We decided that the sales will take place over 75 days from May 1-Jul
14.  This allows plenty of time for sales on Paypal, over the NABS
list, in the affiliate, and at the national level at convention.
Kaiti will braille an announcement and will either send it along with
Aleeha, or will submit it for reading by President Riccobono herself
(pending she has the funds and means to go, knock on wood).  1.  vote
yes or no on dates of sale.
The board thought it would be beneficial to put some of our division's
own funds into the funding of gift cards.  This will show anyone who
decides they would like to donate cards from their personal wallets or
as a chapter that we're not just taking hand-outs from others.  $50 to
$75 were discussed as options, with $65 also suggested.  This amount
would cover 5 to 8 gift cards depending on how we split up the funds,
and we would offer around 15 cards for people to win from major,
national franchises.  We currently have around $480 in our bank
account, and it is up-to-date as the check for BELL from last year's
raffle has been deposited in the affiliate account.  The accurate
count from Emily should be included in the minutes from the meeting.
2.  Vote yes or no on expendature of OABS funds for the purchasing of
gift cards for the raffle.  Please also state the amount you vote for
us spending.
Ticket sale system.  We will continue to sell tickets in a variety of
ways.  Because we are expanding to a larger market we will use PayPal
for electronic sales like last year.  This link can be used to allow
purchases from people on the NABS list, friends and family members we
email ourselves, and anyone else who wil be paying from afar.  Checks
can also be mailed for those who don't have the means or desire to use
PayPal.  In both cases the buyer will receive an email confirming that
their payment was received and telling them what their ticket numbers
are.  We will split up responsibilities for brailling tangible tickets
to be sold to in-person buyers at convention, and will possibly have a
"brailling party" if schedules permit.  In any case, ticket numbers to
be brailled will be split up as evenly among us as possible, and I
will be sure to give plenty of time so brailling can be staggered over
time.  Some ticket numbers will be lumped together into batches of 6
so those who take advantage of the "6 for $5" deal can receive quick
service from sellers at convention (these tickets will be single
tickets but will have 6 numbers instead of just one listed on them).
Others will be singles for those who choose to only spend a few
dollars.  Tickets sold online will be sold with a high number to start
like 75,000 and will descend.  This will ensure that the tickets sold
online will not conflict the tickets sold in person.  The winners of
the drawing would be drawn and announced on Jul 15.  3.  Vote yes or
no on ticket system.

Those are all the voting items, but please continue reading for some reminders.
Advertising directory.  Please help with this if you have access to
the membership committee dropbox.  Aleeha has put in a lot of work on
this and can use some help.  I can say from experience that looking
for information, though tedious, can go by pretty quickly.  If you
have any questions about the directory feel free to contact Aleeha.
Board meeting.  We are overdue for a meeting of the executive board.
I would like to call one for either Friday, May 8th or Saturday, May
9th to avoid conflict with final exams for everyone.  In keeping with
the transparency of the affiliate you do not need to be a member of
the board to call into the board meeting.  We would use our standard
conference line.  Board members, please respond with your availability
for those dates by Sunday night at 11:59 PM as well.
Affiliate board meeting.  The affiliate board meeting will be held
this coming Saturday at 10:00 AM via conference call.  You should have
all received an email from Eric with the call information but if you
did not I would be happpy to forward it to you.  Aleeha is planning to
call and will be speaking about our raffle to explain it to the
affiliate, so if you missed tonight's call but want more information
before you vote I would recommend calling in if you can.  Macy will
also be there as she is on the affiliate board, but if we can have a
bigger student presence that would be great.  Emily and I are both
tied up with fraternity commitments that day, but it would be nice to
have some newer students call in so the affiliate gets to know them.
Nudge nudge, hint hint.

Let's make this raffle bigger and better than before!  I will send out
an email about it early next week after the votes are taken so that
those who missed the board meeting will be informed as well.

Thanks,