[Oabs] Scholarships! A request from the committee

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Wed May 6 04:42:57 UTC 2015

Hi, all,

I have two requests that I hope Deborah won't mind me making as a
member of the scholarship committee.  The first and most important one
is to please, please, please help spread the word about our
scholarship program to other students you may know who could benefit.
The scholarship program is one of the most powerful recruitment tools
the NFB has in its arsenal, and by extension OABS as the target
audience is around the age our division caters to.  The second request
is to please fill out any applications and send them to Deborah if you
are planning on applying.  As I am a member of the committee I am
qualified to provide interviews, but we are less than 2 weeks away
from the deadline and have, believe it or not, 1 application that I am
aware of.  I checked with Deborah fairly recently and that was still
the case, so unless she or other committee members have interviewed in
the past week or so that is all we've got.

I've been a social media fiend on NABS, the Parents of Blind Children
of Ohio Facebook Group, and any other place I can think of sending out
reminders and scouting out potential applicants.  Though that is my
job as a member of the committee, a nudge from a familiar face can be
very helpful for students you may know about and I don't.  If you'd
rather send names and/or contact information for potential applicants
my way that is fine, too, but let's do what we can to bring new
members into the Federation and show them what we're about.