[Oabs] Let's end the shout-out drout

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Fri May 15 05:27:21 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Though we have mentioned a few exciting things that have happened over
the past few conference calls, It's been a while since we have had
reason (that I was aware of) for doing a list shout-out.  This one is
for Lillie as she will be an apprentice in the Columbus edition of
Stem2U this weekend.  From what I've seen and heard from others in the
affiliate this promises to be a fun and exciting weekend, and some
familiar faces from our BELL program will be in the contingent of
younger students.

A reminder that students serving as apprentices had to apply for their
spots and only ten were picked per session (I believe there are only 4
sessions across the country which makes the amount of apprentices the
NFB could take from a national applicant pool pretty small).  The
event will be held at COSI which has plenty of fun things to explore
from a unicycle tight-rope (which is really cool) to a whole room
dedicated to exploring the human body.  A big attraction in the center
is the clock which is in the form of a pendulum that knocks down balls
set up around the perimeter of the clock on the hour.  The museum also
bosts an I-Max movie theatre which is used to show educational films
and documentaries.  One of the things the students and apprentices
will be doing in addition to learning themselves is teaching museum
staff how to better meet the learning needs of blind students.
Whether this takes the form of recommending audio descriptions for the
I-Max films or something else, it will definitely have a positive
impact on future generations of blind museum-goers including students.
Hopefully we'll hear about it from Lillie once she's finished her work
with this project.