[OABS] Fwd: February Updates from NABS

Kinshuk Tella kinshuk.tella at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 15:49:37 UTC 2021

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Nina Marranca <ninam0814 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 8:05 AM
Subject: February Updates from NABS
To: ninam0814 at gmail.com <ninam0814 at gmail.com>
CC: Derique Simon <deriques at icloud.com>, Pamela Allen <
pallen at louisianacenter.org>, Ana Martinez <martinezana770 at gmail.com>,
amy.buresh74 at gmail.com <amy.buresh74 at gmail.com>, Dorothy Griffin <
dgriffin at nfbga.org>, joshuaolukanni at gmail.com <joshuaolukanni at gmail.com>,
Maura Loberg <mauraloberg at gmail.com>, Kinshuk Tella <kinshuk.tella at gmail.com>,
Richard Payne <rchpay7 at gmail.com>, topage at swbell.net <topage at swbell.net>,
arguza at attglobal.net <arguza at attglobal.net>

Hi, lovely leaders!

                Happy February. It’s hard to believe that we are already in
our second month of 2021. Please see below for important NABS updates and
information.

Support the NABS 2021 Auction

The time has finally come for the 2021 NABS Auction, being held silently
and virtually this year. Whether you are in the market for the latest and
greatest technology, inspiration for your next date night, the ultimate
home repair toolkit, a new bed to call your own, or some fun surprises,
check out the below link and share far and wide! Bidding closes on February
10 at 11:59 EST. Let the games begin!

https://www.32auctions.com/2021blindstudents

Blind Girl Magic and NABS Presents Limited Edition Blindness Merch

!Please spread far and wide!

If you FEEL like a rock star, you are one! With no further ado, Blind Girl
Magic presents the limited edition “Braille Rockstar” T-shirt in
celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Braille Awareness Month. The
shirt is black and beautiful with blazing red letters across the top
stating “Braille” and the L’s are white braille cells. Wait!!! Underneath
the word Braille is “Rockstar” in sizzling red letters! The “O” in Rockstar
is a bold yellow peace symbol representing MLK and the Long White Cane is
incorporated within the letter “K” so don’t hesitate! BLIND Girl Magic is
proud to be a supporter of the work of the National Association of Blind
Students, the largest organization of blind students in the nation. To
continue the great work that their programs offer, if you purchase a shirt
before March 1, a portion of the proceeds will be donated to blind
students! Simply include the promo code #NABS in your purchase memo and
your contribution will be included in those that aim to cultivate student
leaders in the blind community. Let's lift us all up during this month of
progression. preorder today! Order info: $20 per shirt plus $8 for shipment
fees. Contact: Jeanetta Price @ (409) 344-1005 or email
price.jeanetta at gmail.com.

January Blog Post

Read on for a unique perspective on learning braille. Lindsay Kerr learned
how to read and write Braille using only 5 fingers. She shares her
perspective with all of us in this piece.

https://thestudentslate.wordpress.com/2021/01/14/braille-with-five-fingers-by-lindsay-kerr/

January NABS Post

Read on to find all current info for NABS

http://nabslink.org/content/nabs-notes-january-2021

Register for the 2021 NABS Midwest Seminar (Virtual)

Not from the Midwest? No problem. We would still love to have you! Find
more info below.

We are so excited to share that registration for our M

We are so excited to share that registration for our Midwest Student
Seminar is now open! Our theme this year is “Marching Towards Your
Authenticity.” The seminar will be taking place March 19-20, 2021. This
virtual program is dedicated to equip students with the knowledge and
expertise to emulate their authentic selves in all facets of life,
including academic settings, the workplace, and social environments. We
know that the year 2020 has taken a tole on the mental health of our
members, many of whom have experienced difficulties maintaining their
academic successes, social groups or environments, and even parts of their
identities. Our program, rife with interactive activities, guest speakers,
and opportunities to grow, aims to help each and every attendee reaffirm
the elements of their authentic self. After all, we wouldn’t be a division
full of diversity without the unparalleled qualities of our members. We
hope you'll join us for a weekend filled with opportunities to grow, learn,
and have fun! Please click here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeGvIoUWComu46pFwY5l5AVX4WZ7aNwAaA7SyJT4xfBw6cw6A/viewform?gxids=7628>
to register. The deadline for registration and payment of the $25
registration fee is March 1, 2021 at 11:59 PM CST. We in no way, shape, or
form want finances to deter student attendance. If the $25 registration fee
stands in the way of your attendance or you have additional questions about
the registration process, please don’t hesitate to reach out to NABS First
Vice President, Kenia Flores, at kflores at keniaflores.com
<%20kflores at keniaflores.com>.

Live Your Life with Love - Feb EP of the NABS Now Podcast

As a way to celebrate the month of valentines Day, the NABS outreach
committee is proud to present our February episode of the NABS Now Podcast.
We discuss all things relationships and even safety tips to stay safe out
on a date. Hear from a very special federation couple, as well, as they
share their love story and allow us to get get to know them.

Listen on:

NABS website: http://nabslink.org/content/listen-our-nabs-now-podcast

Apple Podcasts:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/nabs-now-podcast/id1507437256#episodeGuid=c2379317-97b3-439c-a518-a35fed96194f

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/6g7svknlnu0YudXZRrKZqh

Google Podcasts:
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9hbmNob3IuZm0vcy8xYWRjNWZmNC9wb2RjYXN0L3Jzcw/episode/YzIzNzkzMTctOTdiMy00MzljLWE1MTgtYTM1ZmVkOTYxOTRm?sa=X&ved=0CAUQkfYCahcKEwiQ-tuxocnuAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQAQ

Anchor page for more services: https://anchor.fm/nabs-now

Happy listening!

Please reach out with any questions.

Best,

Nina

*Nina Marranca*

*She/her/hers*

*Board Member | National Association of Blind Students*

*Chair | Outreach Committee*

*President | New York Association of Blind Students*

*Ninam0814 at gmail.com <Ninam0814 at gmail.com>*

*A proud division of the National Federation of the Blind.*

*www.nabslin.org <http://www.nabslin.org>*

--
Kinshuk Tella
He/Him/His