[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Thu Apr 8 08:16:55 UTC 2021

WHERE IS THE LINE BETWEEN PERSISTING IN PRAYER AND VAIN REPETITION?
April 08, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

Prayer is not for informing God; rather, it draws us up to God. The Lord wants us to pray to Him for our benefit, and not because He wouldn’t know what’s going on if we didn’t pray. It binds us to God. He knows what you need even before you ask, so the Lord lays certain burdens on our heart, and as long as those burdens are there, we should keep praying for them.

The heathen would utter the same prayer several times in one sitting. That’s not prayer. Prayer is the intelligent cry of your heart to the heart of God. Prayer elevates you. When you pray, you should think about the prayer and what you’re saying really means.

The Greek word for “vain repetitions” is only found in this one place in the New Testament. It means “to babble” and to “rattle off without giving much thought to what is being said.” Is this how Jesus wants us to pray? What follows in verses 9–13 is a simple example of how we might pray. But it’s not intended to be a magic formula that will do wonders if we vainly repeat it.

There are some Christian denominations that tell people that when they sin, they should say a certain prayer over and over again in order to right the wrong they did. That’s not biblical.

Then you’ve got people like Elijah who knelt down and, seven times, asked God to send the rain. I don’t think he prayed the exact same prayer seven times. Rather, seven different times he pled with the Lord to fulfill His Word and send the rain. People who have children wandering from God pray for their salvation every day. That’s not praying in vain repetition. You can be sure that Jesus prayed for the disciples every day (John 17).

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking."
"Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him."
Matthew 6:7-8

AMERICA IN BIBLE PROPHECY MAGAZINE
Does the Bible speak about events transpiring in our world? What does Revelation tell us about the key players in the final events? Is it possible that the United States will no longer be a sweet land of liberty?This beautifully designed magazine provides a clear and balanced overview of Revelation 13 and 14 to help your community understand what the Bible says about the final superpowers on Earth.

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)