[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] FW: [CWWC] The Cross of Nails

mmoore11 at kent.edu mmoore11 at kent.edu
Wed Mar 31 16:12:39 UTC 2021

From: committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io
<committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io> On Behalf Of trish via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2021 11:12 AM
To: Undisclosed recipients:
Subject: EXT: [CWWC] The Cross of Nails

Both of my uncles were servicemen in World War II, one being on an RFA
bomber crew.  His plane was shot down over Germany, and he spent some time
in a prisoner-of-war camp.

Much destruction and death happened over Britain and Europe over the course
of the war, one of the bombed cities being Coventry.  On 1940 November 14,
an air raid destroyed much of one of the best preserved medieval town
centres in Europe, reportedly as revenge for the RAF bombing of Munich, the
city known as the birthplace of the Nazi party.  The loss of life was tragic
and horrendous; the destruction of the medieval cathedral of St. Michael was
heartbreaking.

The new Coventry cathedral was built in 1962, of the same sandstone as the
original, but the ruins were left symbolically next to the new building, as
a witness to the horror and futility of war.  Iron nails from the ancient
roof truss were gathered by Provost Richard Howard, three being formed in a
crucifix called the Cross of Nails.  The three represent the prayers made by
Jesus as He was dying on the cross.  Since then, many crosses have been made
and sent to churches, prisons and schools worldwide, including dozens of
churches in Germany, a symbol of the church's commitment to peace, justice
and reconciliation.

This is a wonderful demonstration of the ministry which the apostle Paul
encouraged the church to do: "All of this is from God, who through Christ
reconciled us to Himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that
is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their
trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.
Therefore we are ambassadors for Christ, God making His appeal through us."
(2 Cor. 5:18-20a ESV)

Our loving Lord God reconciled us to Himself, while we were still in lives
of sin, not by neglecting His own justice, but by an amazing sacrifice of
love.  The demand for justice for sin was met by Jesus, who took on Himself
all the guilt and punishment our sins deserved.  By doing this, Jesus
performed the most unique and holy service to God ever done in history; His
death made possible the work of reconciling the world to God.

In 1974, the church in Coventry formed The Community of the Cross of Nails,
a network of believers who embrace the differences and diversity which its
partners bring to the ongoing Christian ministry of reconciliation.  Pray
for these ministries, in times of uncertainty and violence that continue in
our world today, and thank our holy Lord daily for what Jesus did for us on
the cross to reconcile us to God.

Shirley Moulton

_._,_._,_

  _____

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#7434)
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/message/7434>  | Reply To
Group
<mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io?subject=Re:%20%5BCWWC%5D%20The%
20Cross%20of%20Nails>  | Reply To Sender
<mailto:trishzoellers at icloud.com?subject=Private:%20Re:%20%5BCWWC%5D%20The%2
0Cross%20of%20Nails>  | Mute This Topic
<https://groups.io/mt/81751915/21951>  | New Topic
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/post>

  _____

Questions, concerns, suggestions? Contact us
Group owner
Email: committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io
<mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io>

  _____

Your Subscription
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/editsub/21951>  | Contact
Group Owner <mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io>  |
Unsubscribe
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/leave/9118772/21951/54263907
8/xyzzy>  [mmoore11 at kent.edu]

_._,_._,_

CAUTION: EXTERNAL SENDER Do not click any links, open any attachments, or
REPLY to the message unless you trust the sender and know the content is
safe.