[Social-sciences-list] introduction

Jonathan Godfrey a.j.godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Wed Jul 25 02:01:48 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I'm a statistics lecturer in New Zealand, where it's both mid winter and
tomorrow with respect to most of you reading this message.

I have Retinitis Pigmentosa (diagnosed at age 2) and did my undergraduate
degrees (Finance first and then Operations Research) with an ability to use
print under a CCTV. I did make the choice after high school to use screen
reader software instead of large images on my PC because I think the obvious
was coming. Anyway, I gave away all pretences to use of print during my
Master's degree and then completed it and my PhD using the best of the
technology of the day as well as a lot of sighted assistance (up to 10 hours
per week).

I've used statistical software of many kinds since 1995, all with the screen
readers of the day. As a teacher of stats now, I am forced to assist
students who use software that is not accessible to me as well as the
accessible options.

Those of you that have heard of me via other lists will know that I use R
primarily and have an interest in what other options are used successfully
by blind people around the world.

Nice to hear about you all.
Jonathan

A. Jonathan R. Godfrey