[Social-sciences-list] new Blind R Users Group email list

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Tue Feb 3 07:27:20 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I have just established a new email list for those interested in using R as a blind person. I see requests coming through a number of current NFB-hosted lists that I feel I need to respond to as well as others that come directly to me. Keeping  track of a lot of lists is proving a little time-consuming for me personally, and to be honest, I'm getting quite distracted by interesting but less relevant discussions. I love helping people with finding solutions though so wanted a more dedicated list to focus my attention. It's time we started working as a group of people more and more so that we all (me included) can get the best out of R now and into the future.

I'm pleased that Dave Andrews who takes care of the NFB's numerous lists has consented to establishing this list. It feels quite fitting as a great deal of the exposure I've had as a blind academic has come through my participation in NFB lists.

Many geographic communities establish R User Groups (RUGs) but our numbers don't warrant thinking geographically. I think a list is a good start but one day we might work out how to do smarter things for meeting up (physically or virtually).

I now invite you to join the new list by sending a message to:
BlindRUG-request at nfbnet.org<mailto:BlindRUG-request at nfbnet.org>
with the single word:
                subscribe
in the subject line. You will be sent a confirmation message to the address from which the message was sent within a few minutes. Simply reply to that confirmation message and wait for the initial welcome message with the standard list admin notes and a few initial pointers.

Alternatively, go to

and sign up there.

Cheers,
Jonathan