[Social-sciences-list] Introduction and Question About Qualitative Data Analysis Software

Vincent Martin vincent.martin at gatech.edu
Mon Mar 16 02:34:36 UTC 2015

Elif,
I am in a very similar program at Georgia Tech.  Ours, is called Human
Centered Computing and is in the School of Interactive Computing.  Of the
ten people in my cohort, we just PhD qualifying exams the past few days, we
have people with undergraduate degrees in Electrical, Computer, Industrial
and Textile Engineering.  We also have Psychology, Economics, Latin,
Sociology, Industrial Design and Physics represented.  One guy even has a
Master's degree in Fashion Design, and two of us had Master's in Human
Computer Interaction.   as well.  HCC is defined basically as the
intersection of Computers and People and as Cyndi says, is what we use to
make things work.  It is absolutely amazing as how interdisciplinary
technology is becoming.  I was in a Mobile and Ubiquitous Computing class
two years ago when I raised my hand and told the professor that I was just
flabbergasted that my Textile Engineering degree is now relevant to what I
am doing again.  Yes, we are making wearable clothes with imbedded sensors
and conductive thread.  Dr. Melody Jackson is also doing the FIDO project,
which is putting vest on dogs that allows for additional interaction with
them.
Of the approximately 110 journal articles, book chapters, and books that
were covered on my qualifying exam, I actually read in the area of
Sociology, Psychology (Clinical Cognitive and Behavioral) Anthropology,
Computer Science, Social Computing, Human Computer Interaction, Research
Methods, Experimental Design, Audio Displays, Sonification, and Assistive
Technology.
My advisor, Dr. Bruce Walker, has his undergraduate degree in Physics and
his PhD is in Engineering Psychology and Human Computer Interaction.  He has
dual appointments in Psychology and Interactive Computing.  In our lab, we
have Three PhD students in HCC along with Five PhD students in Engineering
Psychology.  Add in another twenty or so Master's students in Human Computer
interaction and we have a ball doing research.  Thad Starner, the technical
lead of the Google Glass, is a tenured professor here as well.  He has been
wearing some form of wearable computer on his body everyday for the past
twenty-five years or so.  Google glass was his baby and he took a two year
sabbatical to hand out with his college buddies who started Google.
There are some very interesting and amazing things that come out of the
various Human Computer hybrid programs in the country.  There are only about
ten in existence right now, but more are popping up slowly.