[4Alabama] Upcoming Events

Jennifer Reeves auburngirl2021 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 20:56:04 UTC 2022

*Upcoming Event: Comparison of Collaboration Tools:*

[Boutique rescheduled from March 16]

As the Covid pandemic continued on, businesses and teams of all types
adapted to collaborating and working together online. To facilitate this, a
number of apps and services have sprung up to enable teams in widely
distributed areas to seamlessly work with each other. Come join the
National Federation of the Blind Center of Excellence in Nonvisual Access
on Wednesday, April 6, 2022, from 1:00-5:00 p.m., eastern, via Zoom where
we will compare the accessibility of several of the top collaboration
services.

Take advantage of these free opportunities and register for the
accessibility boutiques
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration>
today!

*Opportunity for First-Time National Convention Attendees: *

The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship provides funding support to
National Federation of the Blind members who want to attend the national
convention in person for the first time. Applications close April 15. Learn
more about the Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/kenneth-jernigan-convention-scholarship>
.

*Video Programming Accessibility Forum with the FCC:*

The FCC’s Media Bureau and Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau will
co-host this accessibility-related forum focused on issues surrounding
audio description. This is not a National Federation of the
Blind-affiliated event, but it may be of interest. Learn more about this
FCC forum
<https://www.fcc.gov/news-events/events/2022/03/video-programming-accessibility-forum-online-audio-description>
.

*Scholarship Program Deadline March 31:*

There are less than two weeks left to apply. The National Federation of the
Blind Scholarship Program helps blind college students reach their
educational and employment goals and so much more. Building on its strong
foundation, we are enhancing the awards and making the experience even more
inclusive, engaging, and meaningful for the thirty finalists. Each
scholarship winner will receive $8,000. Encourage students to apply for the
2022 scholarship program
<https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-enhances-largest-scholarship-program-blind-scholars>.
The deadline is March 31.

*Upcoming April Presidential Release:*

The next Presidential Release will take place Monday, April 4, at 8:00
p.m., eastern. The monthly Presidential Release provides important updates
and perspectives of the organized blind movement, and the live event
includes a Q&A session. Submit questions in advance to cdanielsen at nfb.org
and put PR515 in the subject line, or call 410-659-9314, extension 2473.
Zoom details coming soon.

*We’re With U! A Benefit Concert to Help Blind Ukrainian Refugees: *Many in
the Federation family have been asking if there is something we can
specifically do to help blind people affected by the horrific invasion
happening in Ukraine. The World Blind Union has established the Ukrainian
Unity Fund
<https://worldblindunion.org/blog/news/wbu-stands-united-with-ukraine-and-is-taking-action-to-help/>.
While the National Federation of the Blind operates in the United States,
we want to use our extensive network of love and support at this important
time. On Saturday, April 16, at 2 p.m., eastern, the global online blind
community is joining for a benefit concert to help blind Ukrainian
refugees. Learn
more about We're With U!
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/we-are-with-u-benefit-concert>

*Join Blind Driver Challenge Twitter Chat this Week:*

During the week of March 28, Federationist Dan Parker, who is a blind
race-car driver and machinist, will attempt to break the Guinness World
Record for fastest blind driver. Join us on Thursday, March 24, at 2:00
p.m., eastern, to chat on Twitter about the Blind Driver Challenge and
autonomous vehicle technology. Access the questions now to prepare for the
chat <https://nfb.org/get-involved/twitter>. #CruisinWithNFB

Thanks for all you contribute to our blind movement.

Warmest Regards,

Barbara Manuel, President

National Federation of the Blind

Alabama Affiliate