[4Alabama] World Blind Union Celebrates International Women's Day and Honors Achievements of Disability Rights Advocates

Jennifer Reeves auburngirl2021 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 19:34:40 UTC 2023

For Immediate Release: World Blind Union Celebrates International Women's
Day and Honors Achievements of Disability Rights Advocates

Toronto, March 8, 2023 – The World Blind Union (WBU) joins the global
community in celebrating International Women’s Day. On this day, WBU would
like to recognize the important contributions of disability rights
advocates around the world. This year's theme, "DigitALL: Innovation and
technology for gender equality" recognizes the role women and girls are
playing in advancing digital technology and innovation and highlights the
need to ensure digital transformations are accessible and inclusive.

Martine Abel-Williamson, President of the WBU, remarked, "On this important
day, we honor the leadership and vision of women with disabilities and
reaffirm our commitment to promoting their full participation and inclusion
in all aspects of life. In the disability community, we know firsthand that
technology has the potential to empower as well as exclude. We must work
together to break down digital and physical barriers and create more
opportunities for women with disabilities to achieve their full potential."

Diane Bergeron, Treasurer of the WBU and Chair of the WBU Women's
Committee, added, "On this important day, we must also acknowledge the
achievements of disability rights advocates like Ana Peláez Narváez, who
was recently elected as Chair of the UN Committee for the Elimination of
Discrimination against Women, the first woman with a disability to hold
this role. This is a historic milestone for women with disabilities and a
testament to their expertise, leadership, and commitment to human rights
and social justice. We congratulate Ana on this well-deserved honor and
look forward to working with her to promote the rights and inclusion of all
women and girls."

The WBU is committed to advancing the rights and inclusion of women with
disabilities and promoting a more inclusive and equitable society for all.
On this International Women’s Day, we call on governments, civil society,
and the private sector to recognize the leadership and contributions of
women with disabilities and work together to create a world where every
woman, regardless of disability, can participate fully and equally in all
aspects of life.