[Ag-eq] Hydroponics

Fred Chambers regenerative at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 30 02:01:41 UTC 2009

Yes!

Hydroponics is one way to grow all kinds of things in an apartment.
I haven't kept up on the advances in hydroponics, but I used to do it
when I was an undergrad.
Back then, the lights drew a lot of Amps.  Nowadays, the compact
florescent lamps can be bought locally or by mail that will put out
light at the right wavelengths for the chlorophyll.
You don't want or need a sun lamp or lamp that puts out full
spectrum.  You only need the 2 or 3 wavelengths that the chloroplasts
in your plants want.  This is much more efficient.

One friend of mine began his fish farming business this way.  He grew
basil (among other more recreational herbs), and used huge fish
tanks.  It began as a hydroponic garden in their garage, and evolved
into a bioponic system.  Then he and his wife incorporated as a Not
for Profit organization, so their taxes would be lower.  They opened
the farm up to local schools to tour and do experiments.
The difference between hydroponics and aquaponics is that the latter
grows plants on top of the fish ponds.  Hydroponics can use any water
source.  By using fish water, the plant roots filter the Nitrogenous
wastes from the water.  You can do your hydroponics with fish water.
Otherwise, you would be adding some sort of nutrients to your growth
water.

Good luck!

Fred