[Ag-eq] Blind Gardener Discussion List

Laurie Porter freespirit1 at tds.net
Sat Jan 31 02:11:31 UTC 2009

Thanks for that information. I just joined the list. I just thought it would
be nice to talk about a commonality that most of us have such as gardening.

I'm very involved in the Buy Fresh Buy Local movement up here in Wisconsin.
It's main objective is to bring back the smaller farms that seem to diminish
every year either by urbanization, large scale factory farming and the
changes in our economy that shape the nature of food growth and distribution
in this country. My husband comes from a family of dairy farmers and like so
many people have had to sell there operations.

We've been looking around for some land to start an orchard which is a dream
of mine. I would love to grow all my berries peaches, plums, grapes
apricots, apples pairs,  for the 75 different varieties of Jams and jellies
we make ourselves and sell at southern Wisconsin's farmers markets. The
property  I am on now allows me to grow only a third of what I have to buy
from local farmers. I'm also curious about the gentleman who left a message
about starting fish farming. It is something we considered investing in.

With all the snow we've had up here so far, it looks good for our maple
syrup production this year.