[Ag-eq] Resending

Nella Foster nfoster at extremezone.com
Tue Mar 16 04:33:23 UTC 2010

Ryan:

Do you have experience with horses and if so in what capacity ?

If you don't have a lot of experience I suggest taking lessons from someone.
I personally don't like therapeutic riding centers, but that is just me.  I
took a few lessons at one several years ago and found the staff to be over
protective and patronizing.  I did learn some general equine handling
skills, but not much about riding.  I decided if I was really going to
progress I needed to find another instructor.

I looked in a local horse magazine and contacted some of the riding
instructors that were listed.  I found most of them to be very receptive to
working with me.  I met 3 of them to check out their facility and lesson
horses.  I chose one with reasonable pricing that was in a convenient
location.  She was a good instructor who pushed me.  Even when I came off
she treated me as anyone else and made me get back on.  I worked with her
for about a year and then my work schedule changed and I stopped lessons for
a while.

Shortly after that a friend of a friend gave me an old Arabian mare.  Sugar
was already in her twenties, but had done everything; I learned so much from
her.  I rode her for about 2 years taking lessons as time and budget
allowed.  Sugar started having some lameness issues and I had to retire her.
I kept her for a year longer, but finally had to have her put down.  She was
in pain and she didn't deserve to suffer.

After Sugar could no longer be ridden I started researching different horse
breeds and became very interested in mules.  I looked at several mules
before deciding to purchase Allie.  Allie was 17 and had hundreds of miles
of trail experience.  She had only had 2 owners in her life, both of which
were women.  She seems to prefer women and gets very bonded to her human.

Allie is now 21 years old and I've added to more mules to the heard.  I take
lessons as often as possible and also attend clinics held in the area.  I
joined a trail riding club and try to involve myself in as many horsy things
as possible.  Over all I've found people to be very receptive and supportive
of me.  I've only ever had one instructor tell me I couldn't be in her class
because of liability.  I was upset, but after some research found out that
she wasn't that good anyway!

I'm very lucky because one of my best friends, who is also my neighbor
completely accepts me and always includes me in all horse related
adventures.  My boyfriend is also into horses and we ride together a lot.
We are currently training 2 of the mules to pack so we can go on a packing
trip in a wilderness area.

When I first got interested in having my own horses I read everything I
could get my hands on and watched training videos.  I didn't always
understand everything on the videos, since I couldn't see them, but had a
pretty good idea of what was happening.  I also talked to as many horse
people as possible.  There is so much to learn and the more I learn the more
questions I have!

Sorry I didn't mean to go on so, but I'm somewhat obsessed with horses and
especially mules!  Feel free to ask any questions and good luck in your
adventure.