[Ag-eq] Anyone out there?

Jody W. Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Wed Mar 17 19:09:14 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Since I am new to western riding iI have some really basic questions.  Is
reining where you hold the reins in one hand and place them over the horse's
neck to turn them?  Placing the reins from left to right to turn right and
from right to left to turn left?

also what style saddle is most comfortable?  What is the difference between
a hackamore and a headstall?  I know I already like the macote reins.

I learned to post while riding English.  Once you realize you can use the
force of the horse to push you up and you just hold to lower yourself down,
it is easy.  I had a very strict German riding instructor who just kept
repeating up, down, up, down and it felt very mechanical.  it wasn't until I
relaxed and went with the horse, it became easy.

I am reading The man who Talks to Horses by Monty Roberts.  it is available
through Talking Books.  it is an awesome book.  It is his biography and a
great lesson in horse communications.

JODY

JODY