[Ag-eq] Anyone out there?

Nella Foster nfoster at extremezone.com
Wed Mar 17 19:51:30 UTC 2010

Jody:

Yes neck reining is holding the reins in one hand, with little or no contact
on the horses mouth.  Placing the reins on the right or left side of the
neck gets them to move the desired direction.  Bits with shanks are usually
used for neck reining.  A hackamore puts pressure on the horses nose, this
is used in place of a bit.  Some hackamores can be quite severe.  The head
stall is just the bridle with out a bit or reins.  I hope I explained all
that correctly!

The comfort of a saddle is really a personal opinion.  You should always
make sure the saddle is a good fit for you and the horse .  Many trainers,
riding instructors and even tack shops will be able to tell you if it is a
good fit.  I would never buy a saddle with out being able to try it first,
and I don't mean just sitting in it at the tack store.  If I can't ride in
it for a little bit I won't buy it.  There are many styles of saddles,
western, English, Australian and endurance are just a few.  There are
saddles designed for specific breeds and activities.  So if you know you
will be barrel racing look for a barrel racing saddle.  Since I just trail
ride I look for saddles that are comfortable to ride in for several hours.

I still need to work on refining my post!

I hope I was able to answer some of your questions; feel free to ask more.