[Ag-eq] Tack

Nella Foster nfoster at extremezone.com
Fri Mar 19 17:51:45 UTC 2010

Yes, animals are often the first to suffer when the economy takes a down
turn.  I see ad after ad where people are saying they can no longer afford
to keep their horses.  I've heard of all kinds of animals being left at
foreclosed properties.  People are even dumping horses in the desert; not to
long ago some friends of mine were riding in the desert and found an
abandoned horse.  She was old, very skinny and in very bad shape.  They got
her home and notified the authorities, who said they are seeing more and
more of this kind of thing.  The poor mare had so many health issues the vet
recommended putting her down.

If you want to buy, now is a great time.  There are some really nice horses
out there for half of what you used to have to pay.  There is also all kinds
of tack and horse supplies at very good prices.

I have a synthetic saddle, which I mostly use if I'm taking all 3 mules out
at the same time.  I've also used it when I knew we would be swimming on a
trail ride.  Allie is the only mule I've taken swimming and she wasn't
thrilled about it!

  I'm not into fancy saddles; I like well made and comfortable.  I've bought
all my saddles used and have never paid more than $350 for one!  I prefer
light weight saddles, since the fibromyalgia makes me weak.  I also don't
like making the mules carry any more weight than they have to!

Please keep us posted on your saddle quest!