[Ag-eq] Egg color

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Mon May 3 10:30:34 UTC 2010

There are at least two breeds here in the United States that lay colored
eggs.  Some people refer to them as the easter egg chickens.  They are
called Americanas and Aracanas.  Pure bred Americanas will lay a sky blue
egg while the Aracanas can lay colors ranging from olive, shades of brown
and even pinkish.

The color of eggs depends on the chicken breed itself, however, you can get
different shades of brown from the same breed and even the same hen.  Mine
lay different shades of brown and on occasion, an off white or even cream.
My customers sometimes think I just put a white one in the carton by
mistake.  I tell them no, I don't have hidden white egg layers tucked away
in my coops.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net