[Ag-eq] anyone out there

Nella Foster nfoster at extremezone.com
Mon May 3 21:41:23 UTC 2010

Michelle:

A coworker adopted a dog from the rescue; the rescue is called Animal Haven
Rescue and it's in Arkansas.  She told me about her dog and where she got
it.  I told her I wanted to volunteer with animals and she said you should
call this woman she's really nice.  I called the director told her I had
heard good things about the organization and would like to volunteer.  I
explained that I was blind, but was very capable.  She said just let me know
what your comfortable doing.  I started volunteering I tried most
everything.  The only think I really had problems with was cleaning the
runs.  I walked dogs, bathed dogs, helped with vaccinations, interviewed
potential adopters, assisted with fund raising and fostered in my home.

The director was very supportive and so were the other volunteers.  I
stopped volunteering there when I moved to Arizona, but still keep in touch
with some of the people.

For a while I volunteered at a shelter in Phoenix, but didn't have such a
good experience.  They were always afraid I was going to get hurt and didn't
let me do as much.  It was very frustrating, not to be arrogant, but I knew
more than a lot of their staff.  I finally resigned because I was bored and
my work schedule got more hectic.

Since living in Phoenix I've taken in a few strays, got them vaccinated,
altered and found them new homes.  Once I even took in a horse, but ended up
having to have him put down because of his health issues.  Rescuing them on
my own is expensive and I can't afford to do it often!

Good luck.