[Ag-eq] anyone out there

Jody W. Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Wed May 5 14:56:05 UTC 2010

Hi Nella,

I think that many people can benefit from therapeutic riding.  It was
developed for people who can't walk and it gives them freedom and balance
they didn't have before.

I think that many therapeutic centers go too far to say they are for all
disabled people.  My daughter actually works for a therapeutic center and
she describes some students who are so severely retarded they aren't even
aware they are on a horse.  Another student could care less about riding he
just wants the pizza his mom gets after the lesson so he keeps repeating
'pizza' throughout the lesson.

Many therapeutic centers operate on grants and they are looking for as many
disabled people as they can to stay in business.

Blind students don't have a need for a sidewalker for balance and they can
ride just as well as anyone sighted can.

I bristle when someone suggests therapeutic riding because my goal is barrel
racing not a glorified pony ride.

Maybe therapeutic would be good for some people just not me.

JODY