[Ag-eq] my chickens

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Mon Jun 21 08:30:02 UTC 2010

Hello Nella,

I'm so glad you have your chickens now!  Most breeds start laying in about
15 weeks.  Just so you'll know, the first eggs you'll see are what they call
pullet eggs.  They are very small, maybe the size of your last thunb joint.
Sometimes they will lay those for about a week or so before they start
laying regular size eggs.  I know you will enjoy fulling with them.

We have already lost two hens to the heat, so keep an eye on them especially
since they are so young.

Not too much is going on over here, just getting the planting done, starting
to pick a few things now and really enjoying the honey bees make their way
from garden to garden.  Our dentest, who's business and home are right
around the corner from us, have beautiful landscaped areas which include a
pond that is fed by a natural creek, bulb gardens that highlight his own
metal sculptures, long avenues of beautiful trees and at least 5 acres of
clover.  He also has a large vegetable garden and has areas where he plants
for wildlife.  I said all of this to say this.  We were just there for our
check-ups and we told him about our honey bees and that we were considering
placing hives next year in key locations to assist in field polination.  He
said we could bring several hives to his property and that he had someone do
this years ago.  This would be so cool!  So, we're going to start setting
money aside and get a couple more hives in the spring and put them on his
property.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net