[Ag-eq] german shepherds

Jody W. Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Tue Jun 29 18:53:15 UTC 2010

Hi Barb,

Yes, I agree with you completely.  Tom me there is no other breed then
shepherds.  The irony is that GDB was one of the two pioneer guide dog
schools in America and they built their school on shepherds.

I think you are right about the reasons.  I think they are picking more
placid breeds because they are lower maintenance then shepherds.  A lab is
content to sit under a desk all day where a shepherd would be bored.   think
people have gotten more placid too and they want a breed that will match the
people.

Shepherds are like race cars, they are high performance and high
maintenance.  They are smart and they are always challenging the pack leader
like a teen ager.  That is one thing I love about them but many people would
just be dominated by this type of dog.

Leader, Seeing Eye and Pilot still train shepherds but even if you request
one they might change dogs on you if they think you are not compatible.  I
would hate to have this happen to me while in training.

JODY