[Ag-eq] OT question

Nella Foster nfoster at extremezone.com
Wed Jun 30 02:24:39 UTC 2010

Jody:

One of the first dogs I fostered for GSD rescue was a male named Baron.
Baron was probably about 9 when he was pulled from the animal shelter and
nothing was known about him.  He was extremely skinny and had mange.  He was
missing about half his hair and smelled terrible.  I agreed to foster him
and ended up adopting him.  I had him for almost 4 years before he had to be
put down.  He was the smartest and most loyal dog I've ever had, guide dogs
included!  He seemed to know that I had saved his life and was truly
grateful.  He was very protective and would stay between me and strangers
until he felt comfortable with them.  It really broke my heart when I had to
put him down.

The dogs I have now are Tye and Guinevere.  I adopted Tye from a shelter
when he was 7 months old.  I suspect he's not full shepherd, maybe some
Husky or Malamute mixed in.  When I looked at him at the shelter he growled
at me, and the director, who I knew told me he was on the euthanasia list.
He was 7 months old and had already been in 3 homes.  He was returned for
behavior issues.  I begged Bob to let me try and he agreed.  I took Tye home
and pretty much leashed him to me for a week.  I also got him into obedience
classes and in a matter of days he was my little shadow!  We've been
together for over 11 years now and I can't imagine life without him.  He's
been a lot of work; he's to smart for his own good and needs to be kept
busy.  Well, he has been the perfect dog for the last 3 or 4 years.

After I had to part with poor Maya last summer I decided I wanted another
female GSD.  I always have 3 to 5 dogs around and was suddenly down to just
2!  I went to the local animal shelter and told them I was looking for a
female GSD between 4 and 7 years.  The only dog they had was a very skinny
solid black dog named Guinevere.  They said she was six years old, was an
owner turn in and had been at the shelter over a month.  They said she had
lost weight and was very fearful and she would be put down soon.  So, sucker
that I am I said I would take her!  She was not spayed and had had several
litters of puppies.  While doing the spay surgery the vet found several
masses and her spleen was enlarged.  The vet also thought that she was more
like 9 or 10 years old.  I agreed to take her any way and let her live as
long as she has quality of life.  She's been here since August and doesn't
seem any worse.  She's actually gained some weight.  Her appetite is good
and she plays with the boys.  She also gets very excited when I come home
from work.  She is very smart and affectionate.  She's trust worthy with all
the other animals; I couldn't have asked for a better dog!

I get angry every time I think of someone abandoning a poor, old and sick
dog like Guinevere at the shelter.  She reminds me a lot of Baron.  I'm
keeping my fingers crossed that she will continue to do well.