[Ag-eq] my chickens

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Fri Jul 2 15:56:47 UTC 2010

Nella,

When I can get my hands on them, I can tell the Buff Orphingtons because
they don't have much of a tail so to speak.  LOL
I don't know exactly how long chickens can live.  I'm sure there are a lot
of factors to consider, however, right now my oldest ones are about 5 years
old and though they have slowed down a bit, they are still laying good size
eggs.

That is not a problem with letting your hens out like you are doing and
putting them up at night.  I can't do that here, too many roaming hunting
dogs, farrel cats and loads of active wildlife.  We have 12 foot square
enclosed yards for each coop.  They get plenty of sun, wind, rain, bugs and
mice, grass clippings, leaf rakings and whatever vegetable/fruit we have of
our own, local farmers market and things we find really cheep on sale.  They
love it all.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net