[Ag-eq] Do I fight or just find some other way

Jody W. Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Sun Jul 4 14:54:45 UTC 2010

Hi Nella,

I never thought of doing motivational speaking.  It would be great though.
I guess I never thought of myself as unusual.  I do participate in
Disability Awareness Day at the local high schools.

I usually ask the kids what kind of activities do they think a blind person
does for recreation.  Then I tell them that I enjoy martial arts, being a
Major in the Civil Air Patrol, barrel racing and target shooting.  Then we
talk about stereotypes.

I also ask the kids what they think the hardest thing they think a blind kid
faces in school.  I hear all kinds of physical barriers then I tell them
that the worse part of being a blind kid in school is being teased and
harassed.  I tell them that they might think it is cool or funny to pick on
students who are different then they are but do they really want to
remembered that way 40 years in the future?  I explain that I was picked on
every day in school and I still remember the kids that did it and I
graduated 40 years ago.  I was very solomn when saying this and I actually
had a girl leave the room crying.  I don't know if she was a victim or a
bully but I got through to them all.  I hope I made a difference.

If it wasn't for that teasing and harrassment I never would have studied the
martial arts.  I was tired of being the victim and I wanted to learn to
defend myself.  Little did I know that the martial arts would change my life
and I would meet Tom.

JODY