[Ag-eq] Do I fight or just find some other way

Jody W. Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Sun Jul 4 17:23:16 UTC 2010

Hi Nella,

Yes, for some people their true disability is an ingrained lack of
confidence and they never learned the skills they needed.  This can be so
sad.

I know a 46 year old woman who was never allowed to leave her house without
her sister.  she never traveled independently and she was constantly told
she was blind and therefore she couldn't do anything herself.  This woman
literally needs directions to cross a room.  I was in a room with about ten
other blind person and this woman asked directions to the soda machine.
Another woman that is very independent piped up and said "It is in the same
damn place it was the last time you got a soda."

On the other hand I know a totally blind woman who traveled all around her
town independently wile growing up.  There was no TVI at her school so
rather then sending her to a school for the blind, her mother learned
Braille and taught her daughter.  She is one of the most independent people
I know and one of the best Braille readers.  The difference was expectations
and no one said she couldn't do it.

JODY